Obesity

Talk about what ails ya! If you can fit it all into one post!

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Obesity

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:04 am

I do not like being fat. It causes health problems, and is a total strain on my body. I don't like not ever looking good in any clothes--black clothing does a good job of hiding 5 or 6 pounds, not 50 or 60. I do try to eat healthier, but after weeks of being good and the scale not moving, or only losing a pound or two, hey, I can only be good for so long. I can't live without a treat forever. I will beat this, because I don't want to add type 2 diabetes to my list of problems, and it's almost upon me. Strangers who see me on the street might think I eat a carton of ice cream every night; I don't. Just wanted to vent.

--J--
Is that all there is?

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Re: Obesity

Postby Mao Mao » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:06 am

Vent away!

I myself have put a embarrassingly large amount of weight on, most of it on my boobs, belly, bum, thighs and face apparently. My eating habits are not stellar, but I think my biggest factor has been lack of exercise. The weight has definitely piled on since I finished work, and with all the running around I do (in a car, due to the distances between places and the timings) I don't have as much time left to exercise as I'd like.
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:10 am

It does make it harder when you can't exercise. I also have a lot of places I need to drive to get to, but if I have short errands close to home, I try to get in an extra walk. I walk Tequila every day, but he has short little legs and wants to stop at every tree. :smile:

--J--
Is that all there is?

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Postby Janey » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:02 am

BPM, if you're pre-diabetic, weight loss is going to be much harder. You might need medical help. For example, I have a condition called polycystic ovary syndrome. It usually includes insulin resistance. Even though my blood sugar is low, I am insulin resistant. I was put on a very old-fashioned drug called Metformin to manage it, and my weight just started to go do down. I wasn't even trying.

You might need to start a diabetic diet, too. There are sugar-free treats, or better forms of sweeteners. Even little changes can help. Like tart apples instead of sweet ones: less fructose. A dietician could probably come up with something you can live with longterm.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that "normal" dieting might be setting you up for disappointment. Cutting calories won't do the trick. It's which kind you cut, and what you put in their place.

I hope this helps a bit. You can do this. And it would be pleasanter and cheaper(!) than treating diabetes.
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

Dandelion
Three-legged Mutant Kitteh
Three-legged Mutant Kitteh

Postby Dandelion » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 pm

I've been doing pretty good losing some of the extra pounds I've piled on by going to Weight Watcher's.....the social support helps too. Are there any such groups nearby, or TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly?) Maybe having people who can understand what you are going through might help. I wonder too if your doctor could recommend/prescribe a visit with a dietitian for you. As Janey said, if you are pre-diabetic, weight loss is going to be a bit different for you. Best wishes!

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:46 am

I just really hate that I had to change doctors--it makes it harder for me to want to even go, because I don't have the long relationship and trust I had with my old doctor with someone I've only been to once. They seem nice enough and efficient enough at Kaiser, but I had a good working relationship with my old doctor. Also, the prediabetes seems like a catch-22, because if I lost some weight, it would get better, or if it got better, I would lose some weight. Also, I am hypothyroid, and although that is treated with two medications, it doesn't make the weight come off any easier. I would really like to treat this with healthy food--I'm afraid that if I have to start taking any new meds, that I will be stuck taking them for the rest of my life. :wah: I'm also scared that they will try to put me on statins, which increase the risk of diabetes.

--J--
Is that all there is?

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:48 am

I really feel for you, you're stuck in catch 22 here. Can't offer any advice, just want to give you my support.

I struggle myself with being overweight, this started after I got arthritis and moved much less. I used to look at arthritic overweight people and think to myself "Why don't you eat less?' Now it's my turn - karma :-).

I bought a cheap exercise bike last October. That doesn't strain my joints and I'm slowly building up how many minutes I do each day. No weight loss so far, but there is more muscle tone and my behind is definitely a bit smaller. And I find exercise cheers me up no end, probably all those endorphins.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Return to “Human Health & Fitness”