Gin has lung cancer

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Gin has lung cancer

Postby shaza » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:56 am

Vet says there's nothing to be done except keep him comfortable - it's just a matter of days or weeks

He seems to be happy in himself so far and doesn't appear to be in pain yet

Vet says I don't need to decide to pts just yet

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Gin has lung cancer

Postby Honeybun » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:39 am

Poor Gin. You'll know when he's suffering and the time has come, until then spoil him rotten.

One of my cats has been given only months to live so I'm going through the same thing at the moment.

Eta: I've just seen his birthday post, my girl's 16yrs too. It's a good innings and the average age cats get to but it doesn't make it any easier.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am

That is rotten news. I'm so sorry, Shaza.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:56 pm

Oh no, I'm so very sorry. Sending you and Gin love and hugs.

(((((Shaza and Gin)))))
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:14 am

I am sooooo sorry. Please give Gin some gentle chin scratches for us. :wah:

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:32 pm

It's breaking my heart to see him like this... he's definitely worse this evening than yesterday. I am wondering if I need to have the vet come tomorrow or not. It's such a hard decision. If anyone has any advice on knowing the right time please tell me.

It's so hard to lose the one being in my life who has been truly loyal and there for me no matter what. When he goes I will feel totally alone.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:27 am

shaza wrote:It's breaking my heart to see him like this... he's definitely worse this evening than yesterday. I am wondering if I need to have the vet come tomorrow or not. It's such a hard decision. If anyone has any advice on knowing the right time please tell me.

It's so hard to lose the one being in my life who has been truly loyal and there for me no matter what. When he goes I will feel totally alone.

Heartbreaking decision to have to make - you're probably the best person to decide if his quality of life is good enough to continue and for how long, with the advice of the vet.

You are in my thoughts. ((((Shaza+Gin))))
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:02 am

How's Gin today Shaza? It's almost easier if they go suddenly or in their sleep. It's very upsetting not knowing if you're doing the right thing by them or not. It's hard to advise of when to make the decision but you have to look at their quality of life and think if it's fair on them to carry on or not. You will know when the time is right though.

Thinking of you both x.

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks to you all for your kind words

HB - he's a bit perkier today in himself but still not eating really that I can see.

I got some syringes with something to help for pain from the vet. My neighbour (who used to be a nurse) picked them up for me and administered on earlier today and she said it really seemed to help him. Her mother helped her.

So when I got home I was going to wait for her to come help me but I thought let me see what his reaction is to this stuff. So I just took a syringe out of the bag to let him sniff it - and he nearly pulled it out of my hand. Next thing I know he had it in his mouth (his own doing) so I quickly shot it into his mouth.

All I can think is my clever boy knew straight away it was something to make him feel better. I've never known a cat to take medication so willingly before.

He's being very affectionate tonight. It still just breaks my heart to watch him. And I keep trying to find friends I can call to talk to because I'm stressed out and a little stir crazy spending all my evenings in dealing with this... but alas everyone else has more interesting lives. That hurts too.

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:51 am

The vet is coming today at 12.30 to put him to sleep.

He didn't eat anything at all yesterday and has had very little to drink. He went downstairs a couple times but mainly curls up on the spare bed. So I think it's time. My heart is breaking but I think it's the right thing to do now.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”