Dude's at the vet

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Dude's at the vet

Postby Calypso » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:15 pm

Poor Dude. My fatboy, Orion, aka Ri-ri, aka Dude, seemed to be straining to pee earlier. He'd be standing there and nothing but a few drops would come out. We decided to call the vet and the one on call was willing to meet us at the office (at 6:30 on a Saturday evening!). It beats having to take him to the emergency vet.

He's definitely got something going on and he'll be at the vet's through Monday at least. Tonight she said she was going to catheterize him to get his bladder emptied and take it from there. I'm hoping it's just an inflammation of some sort and not a blockage from stones or anything else of the sort because then he'd probably need surgery.

So I'm asking for that famous MCHY ju-ju that Dude has something minor, easily fixable and non-recurring (do I ask for too much? probably, but he's such a sweet mush).

:smile:

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Re: Dude's at the vet

Postby Calypso » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:42 pm

The vet called earlier and said he's got stones...he'll be having surgery on Monday. My poor little guy :(

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:23 pm

We'll have things crossed for him, even though I read this late.
Special diet in his future?

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:53 am

I was doing some reading up on the whole situation and it sounds like they test the stones to see what may need to be modified in the diet. Although it seems some types are typically only seen in cats 10+ years and others seen in younger cats. My guy is 6.5. I was reading a list of things that makes a cat predisposed to it and he gets a check mark next to almost every one! Then again, most of our cats probably meet the list since it includes being indoor, being in a multi-cat household etc. He's also overweight which likely doesn't help.

I figured first we get him fixed up and then find out what we have to do to prevent this in the future. I think we got super-lucky in that we caught it so early. Had we not noticed it until this morning he could have been really sick or worse. The vet did say he was being a good boy....no attack cat from that one, lol.

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:27 am

Sinclair had a bladder stone years ago. She was on CD for a long time until Keo came. Then they were on WD until Keo was put on a high protein diet. Then about 1 1/2 years later she is on K/D as her kidneys weren't functioning right. I was told Edgar could eat it too just make sure he doesn't loose weight.

It is good it was caught early. Having a good vet helps. Sinclair had so-so vets. Still miss her.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:32 pm

Sending lots of good wishes to Dude for a speedy recovery and no recurrence! :thumbsup:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Glad you got him looked at right away. Sending him lots of get well and stay that way vibes.

--J--
Is that all there is?

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:20 pm

He had the surgery today and all went well. I even got to see him when I brought Castor in for a look-see (that's another story). He looked good, though was still a little loopy and of course terrified. He should come home late tomorrow afternoon.

Castor's been losing weight and it seems like quite a bit went in the last couple of months. A few years ago he was an overweight 14 lbs. A good weight for him was about 12 lbs. Early in the summer I believe he was at 11lbs, which made him skinny but not scrawny. I weighed him yesterday and he's down to 9 lbs. He hasn't seen that size since he was a baby. So he went in for a checkup. They drew blood and took urine and we should have some results tomorrow.

As usual Castor was an embarrassment growling, howling and hissing at anything and everything. Dude on the other hand is known as the mush there - he's pretty complacent unless he's trying to ooze out of your hands. Did I mention that he weighed in at a whopping 19 lbs the other night?? Now a tiny bit of that may have been the urine he couldn't release, but most is just fat. Ass the vet mentioned, they had to cut through the fat to get to his bladder. Maybe we should have had them do some kitty liposuction while they were in there.

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:33 pm

Glad Dude is doing well. Sinclair wasn't a good druggie. She screamed until it wore off.

We'll have everything crossed for Castor. Sinclair lost a lot of weight due to congestive heart failure. Let's just say, the vet there didn't seem to catch it or... I'm hoping Castor just decided to slim up a bit.

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:10 am

Glad to hear that Dude is recovering. Keeping fingers and paws crossed for Castor!!
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Return to “Feline Health and Care”