Dude's at the vet

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Re: Dude's at the vet

Postby Calypso » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 pm

Chubby baby is home and doing well...goofy, but he's drugged up. The other cats are less than pleased with his presence since he must reek of VET.

So, Castor has hyperthyroidism. I think the vet said the upper range is 4 and his is 7. I think we're going to get him the radioiodine treatment. Aside from them recommending it, everything my husband and I have read about it points to it being the better treatment.

First I need Dude to get back on his feet (though he's doing that part just fine). I'm having hip surgery at the end of the month and would like a couple of weeks to recover before taking Castor to a clinic for treatment. He's could be stuck there anywhere from 3-7 days (radioactive kitteh!). There's just too much going on right now to get him in and the vet said he'd be OK for a month til we take him.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:39 am

Calypso wrote:Chubby baby is home and doing well...goofy, but he's drugged up. The other cats are less than pleased with his presence since he must reek of VET.

So, Castor has hyperthyroidism. I think the vet said the upper range is 4 and his is 7. I think we're going to get him the radioiodine treatment. Aside from them recommending it, everything my husband and I have read about it points to it being the better treatment.

First I need Dude to get back on his feet (though he's doing that part just fine). I'm having hip surgery at the end of the month and would like a couple of weeks to recover before taking Castor to a clinic for treatment. He's could be stuck there anywhere from 3-7 days (radioactive kitteh!). There's just too much going on right now to get him in and the vet said he'd be OK for a month til we take him.

What a lot going on, as you say. The radioactive treatment sounds interesting, it is only available in the UK in four or five places, I think. I'm following someone on Twitter who reported getting her cat ready for the procedure. If it saves having to get pills down him every day it's probably worth doing.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:23 pm

Yeah, it's not everywhere here either. My vet mentioned a place that's about 45 minutes from my house. I found another one online that's about half that distance but I need to see if my vet knows from them.

Riri spent most of the day locked in the bathroom with a litter box, food and water. I figured this way I could monitor his intake and output better. Not much on the output unfortunately but I'm not sure how much input there is for that matter! It's hard to monitor drinking unless you see them actively doing it. Also I figured it was potentially less stressful for him -weigh off between being locked in a room and being picked on by the other cats who are not pleased with his vet-smell presence. Currently he's hanging out under my bed. I've got some fish in the fridge that maybe he'll eat. We were using it to feed Castor who was totally off his feed (he seems to have decided that kibble is worthy of his attention again).

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:09 pm

He may not forgive you for a while.
The vet here suggested several water bowls for Keo. So we have one near the litter box, in the hall near the bathroom and one upstairs.
Poor baby.

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:50 am

Little update....Dude is doing great.

We're also giving him these GNC urinary health treats - I had no idea GNC made supplements for pets too! Apparently they put kitty crack in them because he goes crazy when we give it to him, lol.

As it turns out his stones were caused by the infection as opposed to just getting stones from his diet. Good news and bad news with that. Good news is no expensive prescription cat food or meds. Bad news because he has to be routinely monitored for infection. We successfully switched all of the cats to the wet food. It'll be better for him as he's guaranteed more of a fluid intake as opposed to just counting on him drinking his water. I feel like they're all eating less, but let's face it, if they were really hungry, they'd eat whatever we're putting out. I think he's even lost weight and not just from the stress of the surgery.

Castor had his thyroid treatment at the vet the other day. He went in on Sunday and came home yesterday. I don't know what's harder, not having him home for 4 days or that we can't really spend a lot of close contact time with him for two weeks. He's mildly radioactive so we have to take some precautions. We're having him sleep in the basement (at least there's a bed down there that he likes) at night because otherwise he snuggles against me. They tell you to limit close contact to 10 minutes per day. He wants to hang out with me and I have to keep shoving him away. Poor boo! Not to mention the two younger cats, Dude included, keep hissing at him.

Dude has a urinalysis recheck next week. Assuming he's all clear he goes for another one in 6 weeks, then 8 weeks, then 3 months etc until he's gong every 4 to 6 months. Castor has to go back for a thyroid/blood recheck in a couple of months. During all of this, I had surgery on my hip to repair a torn labrum last Friday. So, we're all recuperating and hanging together.

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby Mao Mao » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:41 am

Poor Dude and Castor...and you!

I hope you all get better soon!
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for the update. I am glad they're both doing ok.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:45 am

Hugs all around to you and the puddies - you've all been through quite a bit lately!!
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Return to “Feline Health and Care”