Other Cats Hostile to New Mother

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Nighdarke
Feline Zygote
Feline Zygote

Other Cats Hostile to New Mother

Postby Nighdarke » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:32 pm

Hello! I have three cats, a male and two females, all fixed. There is a stray female who I let come in my apartment sometimes and all of them get along. Yesterday morning the stray was crying her head off outside my door, and when I opened it to see what was wrong she ran in and headed straight for my bedroom closet. She was pregnant BTW. Not anymore. I now have seven newborn kittens in my bedroom closet. When they're sleeping the stray mother wants to come out into the apartment to stretch her legs. She is still very friendly toward my three cats, but now they are hissing and growling at her. Is it just the smell on the stray mother and mine will get used to it and will settle down? Or is this a real problem? I want to let the stray mother have some space to move around and not feel pinned up but I don't want my cats to attack her. And no, I am not going to let my three near the kittens :thumbsup:

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Other Cats Hostile to New Mother

Postby Honeybun » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:13 pm

It's probably all her unusual smells due to hormones. They probably will get used to it over time. If she's getting upset by in it may be worth keeping her separate from them, just until the kittens are a bit older. Also, do not even consider letting her outdoors until she's been spayed - you don't want to run the risk of losing her other getting pregnant again.

Nighdarke
Feline Zygote
Feline Zygote

Postby Nighdarke » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:31 am

I was hoping it was just her smell now. Won't be letting her out till I get her spayed, this is her 6th litter I think and it has to stop. I have noticed that the momma cat isn't using the bathroom. I put the litterbox she likes in the room with her, and nothing. It's not been touched. Is this normal? She had the kittens from 8-11am Saturday. She's eating and drinking plenty. I don't believe she used the litterboxes in the other room one of the times I let her roam about, at least I didn't see her go in there. Never dealt with newborn kittens or a momma cat so all this is new to me and I don't want anything to go wrong.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:36 am

If she only had them a couple of days ago then I wouldn't worry about her not using the box yeti- some cats can hold it for a while. Might be best to keep her in one room for a while though, just to be sure she's going.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:03 am

What a kind person you must be, Nightdarke. I hope the other cats learn to accept her and that mother and kittens continue to do well. And Honeybun is such a useful source of information on cat care!
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Nighdarke
Feline Zygote
Feline Zygote

Postby Nighdarke » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I'm a sucker for cute little furballs and these kittens are just adorable. The mother cat is doing good with them now, I'm just keeping an eye on the runt to make sure it gets enough to eat. Wasn't sure it was but it refused a bottle when I offered. That kitten keeps crawling away from the others. Kinda worrisome. I have a taker for it already, it's the only solid black one. Would hate for it to not make it. I would assume if it's hungry it would take the bottle?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 pm

Could you take one of the bigger kittens off mum and put the runt in his place. Sometimes the runts get too weak to fight for a teat and keep getting pushed out of the way. A kitten may take some time getting used to a bottle but sometimes they just don't make it :wah:. If this is mum's sixth litter then she really should know what she's doing by now, it could be there's something wrong with the little one :(.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”