Fido

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

lenawest
My Laptop Smells Like Cat Piss!

Fido

Postby lenawest » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:51 am

Fido is about 6 years old. She's a wild outside kitty. We've only been able to catch her once, to get her spayed, 6 years ago. Every winter, it's the same thing. She start eating her tail. She growls, hisses and screams at it as soon as it starts getting cold. Then she attacks it constantly. The tip of her tail stays bloody. I can pet her thru a window for a minute at a time, and I always check to see if there is something stuck to her tail. There's not. But she hates that tail. To hear her, you would think a tom was attacking her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not a spammer!

lenawest

Re: Fido

Postby lenawest » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:36 am

We kept checking for a tick or something that maybe woke up in winter! :oh: Then we thought it was her split personality living in her tail.

She was named Fido because, well, because she was really an ugly kitten when she first appeared and we thought she was a boy.

Here's her baby pic:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am not a spammer!

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:44 pm

She was a pretty kitten, poor girl being called ugly, lol. She looks like the type you would cuddle only to have your hands torn to shreds but you'd still hug her anyway.

Maybe her tail is very sensitive to cold - possibly after an old injury. Might just be a viscous cycle.

lenawest

Postby lenawest » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:14 pm

She grew up totally gorgeous, but untouchable. Only sneaks into the house for hurricanes so far. Doesn't like any of the other cats, even the wild ones. She's had one kitten in her 6 years. The baby was as crazy as she is. We named her Tweak. Even if she's on the roof when we go outside, she jumps off and runs for a neighbors back yard. We tried our hardest to tame her like all the others, but she didn't want any of it. Even my fiercest tom cats avoid her. When I had an old hoopty for a car, I left the windows partly open for her to get inside in the winter. She has been looking for a way into my new car.

I don't have a clue how we caught her to get her fixed. I think we cornered her in my car one morning.

We've never seen her hurt or even fighting anyone but herself! She is always on my porch or in the front garden, day and night. Never crosses the street. She has her own wooden house in the wisteria trellis, even.
I am not a spammer!

Too many cats
Functional Catnip Addict
Functional Catnip Addict

Postby Too many cats » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:10 pm

She has nerve damage either right at the base of the tail at the exact point where it's attached to her back and probably has restricted blood supply to the tip when it gets cold ;) It probably does not hurt her but the numb feeling she feels when it gets cold freaks her out and is why she is biting it. She knows it's her tail but she can't feel it. I've had one do the same thing. But when was worse was when I first met hubby he had a black lab that had a back injury and nerve damage. The dog had several sugeries and it could walk just fine but could not feel one of his back feet or his tail. I said amputate the foot and tail because there was nothing they could do ...hubby didn't want to do it quite yet ......still wanted to see if it would straighten up on it own. We came home one night and the damn dog had chewed his own foot off and half of his leg up to the elbow because he couldn't feel it. He had to have his whole leg amputated off to the hip then and his tail. I was so horrified and haunted by that that it's now one of my main concerns... even if it's just a broken toe nail ...I still freak, lol!
We're all fucked up in our own special way. I love that.

lenawest

Postby lenawest » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:50 pm

the poor girl is out front trying to eat, but her tail keeps sneaking up on her. It really looks like that. She'll be eating peacefully, then the tail swings forward towards her body and she goes nuts! I REALLY wish I could help her.
I am not a spammer!

Return to “Feline Health and Care”