Waiting on blood test results **results in**

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Waiting on blood test results **results in**

Postby shaza » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:35 am

I took Gin to the vets yesterday for his annual exam / vaccinations. The vet weighed him and he's lost half a kilo since last year. I didn't think that sounded a lot but she wanted to run blood tests just in case.

I hope it's nothing serious - I can't imagine really because he seems well in himself. He doesn't go out wandering about as much as he used to but he's 15 now and he seems happy enough to sun himself in the lounge or back garden.

He was less than impressed about (a) being stuck in the carrier (b) driving to and from the vets (c) the vets - the smell, other crying animals and the big over-curious dogs (d) them shaving a bit of fur (e) them drawing blood. I was shunned appropriately all day yesterday but he seems to have forgiven me this morning. I did give him a whole tin of tuna and kitty milk. :tong:
Last edited by shaza on Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Re: Waiting on blood test results

Postby Mao Mao » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:00 am

Fingers crossed that Gin puts on some weight and that the blood tests turns out OK.
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:29 pm

I'd wager it's mainly age related; when Murph hit the 15-16 year old range his weight went down a pound+ from the 16.5 pounds he'd been before ( and the vet still wanted him to drop a bit more!). Now at almost 19 he's at a healthy weight just under 14 pounds after having dropped down close to 13 pounds when he developed his eye issue.

I hope you and Gin get a good report from the vet ASAP.

I'm very familiar with the shunning/tuna regimen after two months+ of non-stop weekly vet visits between Murph & Abby (along Maggie's yearly check-up wedged in there)! Still working up the nerve to stuff Beau into a carrier for a check-up, lol. I prescribe another dish of tuna for Gin and a gin & tonic for you! :wink:
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm

Hope it's nothing serious and that you get the results soon.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 pm

Fingers crossed for good results. The Imperial One has taken on a smaller sized fur suit himself as he's gotten older, he'll be 14 on his next birthday. He's just under 12 pounds these days. He'd lost a little over a pound since his last visit--18 months earlier. We'll be doing blood work if he loses anything significant at his next check up.

Meanwhile, good luck with getting out of shun time out.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:42 pm

May it be nothing but age and with a long healthy life.

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Re: Waiting on blood test results **results in**

Postby shaza » Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:46 pm

Well it looks like he has an overactive thyroid which the vet says is fairly common in older cats.

They also said one of the two kidney markers was elevated. But they want to focus on the thyroid first.

So it will be tablets for Gin - deep joy. Now where is my chainmail armor and gauntlets?

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Now you know and it's treatable.

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:59 am

I'm very glad that it's easily treatable. So are you looking for off the rack chainmail or would you prefer something a little more custom. I'd suggest something galvanized so it cleans up better.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am

LOL - I'm a bit on the small side so custom made might be a good idea - will keep the galvanized in mind though - thanks for the tip :happy:

He's been on the meds for a week now and I think I already notice a difference in him. My neighbour says so too - apparently he popped into her upstairs bathroom through the window to say "hi" whilst she was having a shower.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”