Waiting on blood test results **results in**

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Re: Waiting on blood test results **results in**

Postby MarciaCat » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:56 pm

shaza wrote:LOL - I'm a bit on the small side so custom made might be a good idea - will keep the galvanized in mind though - thanks for the tip :happy:

He's been on the meds for a week now and I think I already notice a difference in him. My neighbour says so too - apparently he popped into her upstairs bathroom through the window to say "hi" whilst she was having a shower.

:elyay: lol!! He's taken up "Peeping Tom" as a hobby, huh? Still couldn't hurt to invest in that custom chainmail though.
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 pm

LOL apparently he has. he has definitely perked up.

It's weird because I thought hyperactive thyroid would mean hyperactive cat, but apparently that's not always the case. But Gin has definitely perked up these past few days. More alert, playful and affectionate. Nice for a 15 year old elderly old man.

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:02 am

Glad to hear he's feeling better!! You can avoid the chain mail if you get your Vet to prescribe a gel that you smear on the inside of his ears - my Vet did this for me when Sanuk (RIP) was diagnosed with hyperthyroid. The ears get a little gunky but you can clean them out with a tissue.
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:03 am

Rani seems to have hyperthyroid also. Need a second blood test to confirm. Hope medicines are easy to administer...
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:15 am

Other vet in practice decided she doesn't have hyperthyroid and he didn't recommend serum test. Just monitoring her now, she has perked up and her weight has gone up, thanks to some seriously expensive catfood. Never thought madam would eat supermarket own brand kittyfood, but it is Waitrose and her favourite one contains just shreds of chicken breast, a slice of duck breast and tapioca jelly. She also likes the tuna and prawns. Hoovers them up, as a matter of fact. But won't eat her special furball elimination cat biscuits, so I'm using the furminator comb on her every day, which she adores. Trying not to take out too much, she could easily go bald at this rate.

She's winning all round, isn't she?
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:05 am

They are pretty skilled at manipulating us - a friend of mine is struggling with her dainty princess who is refusing to eat her regular food!!
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:17 pm

Well despite websites about the medication saying not to crush the tablets, the vet said it's ok as long as you don't touch the tablets.

What I did was get a mini mortar & pestle off the internet so I can crush the tablet into a fine powder easily. Then mix it into the food thoroughly. Easy.

Well... sometimes he balks at eating the food at first, but soon he realises its that or nothing and eats it.

Evil manipulative beasties!

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:13 pm

Is he on felimazole? I've become an expert at tricking cats into having that! Have you tried cheese spread/triangles, cream, yoghurt, slices of ham/chicken, or just pinning him down and popping it down his throat?

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:51 am

He's on carbimazole Honeybun

Return to “Feline Health and Care”