Pussycat's time is near

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Pussycat's time is near

Postby Billy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:30 am

Pussycat has suffered some sort of neurological event (stroke or something else) and the vet says it won't get any better. I brought her back home but the vet is coming tomorrow to put her to sleep. There's nothing else to be done. She has had a tiny bit of food and water, she is still purring when I pet her, but she can't settle and can barely lift her head. The vet did agree that it was ok to wait till tomorrow so we'll have a little bit of time together. I will ring them if she gets any worse before then.

I am absolutely heartbroken. I have had PC since she was one and now she's one month off 18. She was my Dad's cat and I took her when he passed away even though I lived 3 hours away with an allergic flatmate, because my relatives were going to put her down. She's been through so much - a fall from the 8th floor at 6 months, chronic FLUTD, epilepsy, flu, IBD - and she's battled it all and always recovered. She's moved with me from place to place including to the UK two years ago. I've never met a tougher cat. Incredibly stubborn and strongwilled, infamous at the vets, remembered with fondness or fear by everyone who ever met her. The last year or so, she's noticeably aged, including going blind, but she's still been relatively healthy. I had hoped she would quietly pass in her sleep one day but unfortunately we have to make the hardest decision. My sister says she can imagine PC meeting up with my Dad again. I am going to miss her so much.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Pussycat's time is near

Postby Honeybun » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 am

I'm so sorry. It's hard making this decision, it's almost easier when the decision is taken away from you. Thinking of you. X

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:30 am

I am so sorry, Billy. Having had to say goodbye to a number of cats over the years, I know this is never easy and like you I always wished they would simply drift off to sleep, but it always needed vetinerary intervention.

Hope you are able to have some quality time with her tonight.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:02 am

I am so sorry, Billy. This just breaks my heart. Thinking of you both today.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:45 am

I'm so sorry to hear this Billy, it is never easy to make that decision. It sounds like Pussycat lived an interesting life and a long one too. (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Billy & PC))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:07 pm

I'm so sorry to hear it Billy

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm sorry.

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:41 am

Billy, I'm so very sorry.

(((((((Hugs)))))))
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:26 am

Thank you all very much. The vet will be here in an hour or two. We've spent the morning on the sofa with PC on my or my partner's lap. She seems quite calm. She hasn't eaten, drunk or been to the loo. We've made ourselves laugh trying to get a paw print (it's a paw smear but I'm keeping it), we've taken some lovely photos, told some stories and cried. I'm not ready but I'm a bit more accepting.

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:22 am

I'm so sorry to hear this, but it sounds like she's had a wonderful, long life. It's been over a year since i lost my Omelet in pretty much the same way and i still swear i see him around corners every day. There's no such thing as being ready for our furkids to leave us but it seems as tho you are doing the best thing for her. {{{{Hugs}}}}} to you and your partner and headbutts from my furkids. :wah: :wah:

Return to “Feline Health and Care”