Murphy's Got An Eye Infection

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Murphy's Got An Eye Infection

Postby MarciaCat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:03 pm

Like the title says Murph has a serious eye infection and my vet recommended he's see an animal ophthalmologist which we did today and he concurred with my vet that the best course is to remove the eye ASAP. It was all minor irritation and tearing until late Saturday night when my Mom noticed the eye was shut tight and a few bloody drops on his cheek. We took him to the vet Sunday morning, the doctor said the cornea was filled with fluid and it was unlikely he could see through it or that anything she could do would be able to save the eye but we should see an ophthalmologist to get a second opinion but in the meantime she gave him a prescription for buprenorphine for the pain and antibiotic ointment. The pain Rx sure helped, he no longe flinches when I touch the right side of his face.
The opthamologist also looked at his left eye and said it looked fine, no cloudiness or cataracts, really good for an 18 year old cat and said he should get along just fine; just it was best to get him under, the eye removed etc and out of anesthesia as soon as possible.

So today after we saw the ophthalmologist I made the appointment with the vet for the to be done tomorrow; he'll probably be staying there overnight. One thing that came from his latest bloodwork is that his kidney numbers are better than they were 10 months ago and when we're over this hump there's a medication/supplement called Azodyl the vet recommends for cats with his problems.

I'll update here and on twitter as needed, meanwhile all possible good thoughts are appreciated.

One more thing, when I mentioned to the opthamologist that Murph could be a pirate complete with eye patch for Halloween, he said "He can be Captain Morgan with a glass of rum, arrrgh!" I liked that.
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Re: Murphy's Got An Eye Infection

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:11 pm

I was trying to remember how old Murph the Surf was when telling the Big Guy about this, 18, wow, that is a seriously respectable age. Poor fella, Py feels for him, he's got his own bit of eye mess with allergies going on. Just make sure to keep an eye on your gold hoop earrings. Because before you know it, Captain Murph Morgan will have swiped one to go with his eye patch.

Lots of happy thoughts coming for both of you. I am so sorry it happened so fast but I am glad to know that otherwise, his health is good.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:41 pm

Tinkerbelle wrote:I was trying to remember how old Murph the Surf was when telling the Big Guy about this, 18, wow, that is a seriously respectable age. Poor fella, Py feels for him, he's got his own bit of eye mess with allergies going on. Just make sure to keep an eye on your gold hoop earrings. Because before you know it, Captain Murph Morgan will have swiped one to go with his eye patch.

Lots of happy thoughts coming for both of you. I am so sorry it happened so fast but I am glad to know that otherwise, his health is good.

I'm amazed how well he's doing otherwise for a very senior cat considering he had a small almond size lump removed from his abdomen when he was 2 or three years old that the vet was 90% sure was cancerous, it wasn't, followed 1-1/2 years later by a nasty abcess on his chest that had to be surgically cleaned and have a temporary drain for two weeks. From then on I just assumed I'd loose him before Junie, boy was I wrong; I can't believe it's been nearly 6 years since I lost him and Mao-Mao lost her BiBi so close to one another.

I will keep my gold hoops under lock and key, he's always had a thing for sparkly gold things!

Poor Py, I hope his allergies clear soon, I can't imagine it's fun dosing him with antihistamines.

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 am

MarciaCat wrote:
Tinkerbelle wrote:I was trying to remember how old Murph the Surf was when telling the Big Guy about this, 18, wow, that is a seriously respectable age. Poor fella, Py feels for him, he's got his own bit of eye mess with allergies going on. Just make sure to keep an eye on your gold hoop earrings. Because before you know it, Captain Murph Morgan will have swiped one to go with his eye patch.

I'm amazed how well he's doing otherwise for a very senior cat considering he had a small almond size lump removed from his abdomen when he was 2 or three years old that the vet was 90% sure was cancerous, it wasn't, followed 1-1/2 years later by a nasty abcess on his chest that had to be surgically cleaned and have a temporary drain for two weeks. From then on I just assumed I'd loose him before Junie, boy was I wrong; I can't believe it's been nearly 6 years since I lost him and Mao-Mao lost her BiBi so close to one another.

I will keep my gold hoops under lock and key, he's always had a thing for sparkly gold things!

Poor Py, I hope his allergies clear soon, I can't imagine it's fun dosing him with antihistamines.

He's a strong boy, your Murphy. And it sounds like you've got some excellent people to take care of him.

I would rather given an enema to an alligator than pill The Imperial One. Especially since he enjoys having added the Cat Vader mystic to his arsenal and that only adds to his determination to NOT take his meds. It's one of the side effects of the polyp in his nose. And it's like he can turn the sound on and off. He can still be silent and deadly, unless he's determined that he is not getting the attention he believes he is due. Then the Vader breathing starts. Like at 3am, in the hallway.

Thinking about you both this morning!
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Sending lots of good thoughts Murphy's way - he's going to lookish rakishly handsome with an eye patch!! Hugs and scritches to him and big hugs to you!!
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:22 pm

tonksrok wrote:Sending lots of good thoughts Murphy's way - he's going to lookish rakishly handsome with an eye patch!! Hugs and scritches to him and big hugs to you!!

Thank you, Tonks! The vet called 20 minutes ago to say he made it through just great and he's a very strong kitty, I'll be picking him up between 5 and 7 o'clock. I'm getting my bedroom ready for him; I cleared a space in my small closet for him to be able to maneuver in with the dreaded e-collar, food & water dishes are cleaned and ready; I just need to get a litter box set up.

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:38 pm

This is just the most wonderful news! I am so glad to hear that he made it through so well. Please give him a big smooch for me when you pick him up
Tink
The Meowy-Festo

spudsmom
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher

Postby spudsmom » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 pm

Lots of good wishes to Murphy for a quick recovery! I know you will be so glad to get him back home, it's so hard when they are away.

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:02 pm

We've got quite the cast, a pirate kitty, a Darth Vader kitty, etc. Speedy healing vibes for Murphy!

--J--
Is that all there is?

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Postby MarciaCat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:53 pm

Thank you all for the well wishes. Murph is being his typical stubborn self, he really wants the e-collar off but I can't leave him alone without it otherwise he tries to wash his face; the bandage comes off tomorrow which will make it even trickier. The sutures come out in two weeks.

The vet said she thinks it looks like the eye may have suffered a minor puncture wound which healed over fast as eyes tend to then abcessed; I told her Murph has a history of abcess trouble in his younger days-- we'll see if the biopsy shows anything conclusive.

Right now he's sleeping on my head, snoring; I was hoping to take a shower tonight but that may not be in the cards, lol!

Return to “Feline Health and Care”