Potty problems

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Potty problems

Postby neko2 » Mon May 20, 2013 7:23 pm

A few months ago one of the fuzzies decided to hang their butt out the box and pee. The culprit did it twice and it stopped.
This week one of them has done it twice. A few weeks ago I took Keo, thinking she was doing it (there was an occurence of it then), to the vet. He found elevate BUN and glucose but said he wasn't worried about the glucose as so much the BUN. He said bring the BUN down and the glucose will go down. So got some new food Science Diet kidney. They have been on a high protein diet trying to get Keo to drop a few pounds.
So far they seem to like the new food which is still mixed in with the old. I also put a water bowl down near the boxes (not too close).
Any ideas why they could be missing the box? Hubs is thinking butt hanging out. I will add a second box this week in case they decided they don't like sharing one anymore. It's scooped daily. Hubs doesn't change it all out as often as I do but I have to come up with another chore for him before I take that one away.
Thanks for the input.

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Re: Potty problems

Postby badplantmommy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:59 pm

We had a litter box with a lid/roof on it for Krissy, but as she got older and more arthritic, she did not squat, and although her whole body was in the box, she would pee out the door.

--J--
Is that all there is?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Tue May 21, 2013 12:49 am

Could you try a litter box with higher sides or an enclosed one? My cat regularly goes over the side but it's easily cleaned up as I have it on newspaper on lino (she would rather pee in the hall than use a box with higher sides). I found that she's more likely to go over the side if it's against the radiator so I have in a few inches away from the rad.

How old are your cats? They may be getting a bit stiff with age and not squatting so well.

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 pm

Keo turns 11 in Oct and Edgar is 6.
I've wondered if Keo was having problems with her joints. Part of why we have her on a diet as she is 16-17 lbs. I think the Azores depressed the shit out of her, did me.
We do have a covered box as our Sinclair didn't like the openess of a non covered one. Edgar has really known nothing else. Keo may be too picky for a non covered too. She is very much a creature of habit.
I'm really hoping all goes well when we move this fall. I'd like for them to have their own bathroom again like they did in Germany.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”