Nip query

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Nip query

Postby Ireneb » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:15 pm

I used to buy catnip mice made by a company called Culpepper in the UK, cats used to go mad over them. The business seems to have closed down. I have tried a couple of basic catnip toys from local petshop, but Rani is very meh about these.

Can anyone in the UK recommend a decent brand that will have her rolling around again without abandon?
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: Nip query

Postby tonksrok » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:11 pm

I made Myet her own catnip toy using an old (clean) knee high stocking, cotton balls and some really strong catnip. Roll the cotton balls around in the nip until they get coated, then pack a few in the toe of the stocking, sprinkle in more nip then pack some more cotton balls in, repeat until you get something about the size of a largish mouse (or smallish rat), tie the stocking in a knot, double the stocking back over itself and tie another knot. Toss to cat and watch the weirdness begin. Myet loved these and they were a great way to recycle old knee high stockings.
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:48 pm

I use these: http://www.myvetmeds.co.uk/catac-catnip ... -sacks.htm (I don't get them from this site but just put it as an example). All my cats love the bags and they stay fresh for ages, though they do go a bit brown as the catnip gets wet.

An example of one in use:
This was the first day she came to live with us and the catnip helped her come out of her shell.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:26 pm

Thank you, will research that further when I'm back from Vienna. I've never been very successful growing my own catnip, probably because the cats used to eat it.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 pm

This knocked off Gus' socks, but was too strong for Gibson.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/kittycollage?section_id=7304997
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”