medicine dilemma - update

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

medicine dilemma - update

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:10 am

Pussycat has epilepsy and it's controlled with phenobarbital. She has six monthly blood tests and the latest one showed that the pheno levels are too high. They were higher last time though, so we reduced the dose then, but she started having seizures again, so we upped it again. I had a discussion with the vet yesterday - if we stay on the current dose, PC's liver may be damaged and it may shorten her life. On the other hand, if we lower the dose, she might have seizures which could cause brain damage, or she could injure herself if it happens when we're out and can't keep her safe. Pussycat is 18 in August. I've pretty much decided that it's worth the risk of potential, longterm liver damage if it keeps her stable and seizure free. I don't like the idea of shortening her lifespan, but honestly, she is very old and has other chronic problems. Much as I hate to think about it, she isn't going to be around for ever.

Anyone else had this dilemma with an elderly cat? Any thoughts? Am I doing the right thing?
Last edited by Billy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: medicine dilemma

Postby tonksrok » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:47 am

I had to make a hard decision about both Myet and Sanuk. They were both elderly (in their late teens) so it was better (in my opinion) to look at their quality of life and go from there. My only regret was that I did not let Sanuk go when I should have, he suffered a little too much. By the time Myet was too sick to really enjoy life I worked up the nerve to let her go. It's heartbreaking, but in the long run you will know you made the right decision - PC will not love you any less for caring enough to let her live her last few years in comfort.
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:30 am

I'd come down on the side of quality of life and not worry about liver damage too much. 18 is a good age, well done for getting her this far.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:32 pm

It's not exactly the same but when Tilly was refusing to eat her special food and really fought me to get her daily tablet in her I decided to give her what she wanted to eat and try her tablet but not worry if she didn't have it (she had CRF). In the end she died of a heart attack. At her age it wasn't really about prolonging her life.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Honeybun, I was saying something like this yesterday, that if we knew there wasn't much else we could do, I'd stop trying to stop her from eating the other cats' kibble and let her eat whatever she wanted!
As well as steroids and pheno, we've just started giving her glucosamine and potassium. I'm hoping she'll respond to both of those - if she feels better, she'll perk up and eat more. So for the next couple of weeks, we're sticking to the regime (except for Pill Pockets and Lickelix which is how we get pills in her!)

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Re: medicine dilemma - update

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:01 am

It's been over a week and Pussycat seems to be about the same. Unfortunately, she is refusing Pill Pockets and Lick-e-Lix and is off her food in general. The only thing she wants is the other cats' kibble (she mustn't have this due to IBD) and the glucosamine chewable supplements. I am giving the tablets with a pill gun but she *hates* that, and I don't really want to do that with 6 pills a day for the rest of her life.

I am hoping that it is just another few off days and that her appetite will come back, but frankly, I'm worried. Since she is only allowed chicken and rice diet food, I'm not sure how to get her to eat. I will buy chicken if I have to, but I don't know what to get - can anyone give me any tips, please?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:46 am

Billy wrote:It's been over a week and Pussycat seems to be about the same. Unfortunately, she is refusing Pill Pockets and Lick-e-Lix and is off her food in general. The only thing she wants is the other cats' kibble (she mustn't have this due to IBD) and the glucosamine chewable supplements. I am giving the tablets with a pill gun but she *hates* that, and I don't really want to do that with 6 pills a day for the rest of her life.

I am hoping that it is just another few off days and that her appetite will come back, but frankly, I'm worried. Since she is only allowed chicken and rice diet food, I'm not sure how to get her to eat. I will buy chicken if I have to, but I don't know what to get - can anyone give me any tips, please?

Can you give her bland flavours of other foods? You say not allowed but does it affect her that much if she has them? Can she eat cheese? Dairylea triangles are good for pill giving, might be ok in small doses. Can she have fish? We get the frozen blocks of coley. Sorry, I'm probably not much help.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:05 am

Honeybun wrote:Can you give her bland flavours of other foods? You say not allowed but does it affect her that much if she has them? Can she eat cheese? Dairylea triangles are good for pill giving, might be ok in small doses. Can she have fish? We get the frozen blocks of coley. Sorry, I'm probably not much help.

Her diet is chicken & rice, which I buy in pouches. There is a kibble but she didn't like it. I'm looking at other high quality kibbles like Arden Grange and James Wellbeloved.

If she eats food that she isn't allowed, she gets an inflamed bowel, leading to diarrhea, vomiting and more weight loss. So I'd want to avoid large amounts of anything else but until now, Pill Pockets and Lick-e-Lix in small doses have worked for pill giving, so cheese might work too - I'll get some Dairylea to try. It's a bit of pain that the humans in the house are vegan because we don't have anything to test on her! But if she doesn't like what I buy, I'm sure the other tubby cats will enjoy finishing it off ;)

Return to “Feline Health and Care”