Great link about house plants

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Great link about house plants

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:34 am

I found this this morning while reading through the news. I thought it was definitely worth a share.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/ne ... forpets/2/
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: Great link about house plants

Postby tonksrok » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 am

That was most informative - thanks Tink!

Of course, Marie Catoinette and her brother will eat nothing that isn't plastic or otherwise inedible. You would not believe the stuff I've had to pull out of their mouths before they could swallow!! :confused:
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:30 am

I'm almost afraid to ask, lol. Py would like to recommend that embroidery floss is probably not the best inedible to consume. None of it tastes nearly as good as it looks. Nor does it add anything to hairball construction. And Marie Catoinette's not so little boy toy decided my ribbon basket was a salad bowl the other night. And of course, he shoved to grosgrains aside and devoured the most expensive ribbons he could get his fangs into. Rotten cat.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:19 pm

But of course!!!! I'm sure Her Evilness has convinced her boy toy that only the most expensive things should be chewed up and slobbered on - no sense in wasting valuable time that could be spent napping on cheap, easily replaced stuff!!!!

Seriously - I have had to hide all of my wrapping stuff way in the back of the closet in plastic boxes with heavy stuff piled on top of the boxes just to make sure that busy little paws don't get into my quilting threads, ribbons, you name it. The stuff I use for bead stringing is sealed inside containers that you need hands with thumbs to open.

Rotten Cat - just doesn't adequately describe what I have to deal with every day. :evil:

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 pm

I don't have much room for plants anyway so it's not a worry but there was an article in some of the national papers recently about a family who lost three cats very quickly to lily poisoning and another was ill from it. :wah:

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

I manage to kill most houseplants pretty rapidly, so it's not been an issue. Odd that cats, who are usually so sensible, eat stuff that is bad for them.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 am

Ireneb wrote:I manage to kill most houseplants pretty rapidly, so it's not been an issue. Odd that cats, who are usually so sensible, eat stuff that is bad for them.

In the case of lilies cats usually are poisoned after brushing by and later washing off the pollen, although the rest of the lily is poisonous too, cats rarely try to eat them :wink:

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 am

Honeybun wrote:
Ireneb wrote:I manage to kill most houseplants pretty rapidly, so it's not been an issue. Odd that cats, who are usually so sensible, eat stuff that is bad for them.

In the case of lilies cats usually are poisoned after brushing by and later washing off the pollen, although the rest of the lily is poisonous too, cats rarely try to eat them :wink:

Aha, that would make perfect sense, as I've yet to see a cat taking a bite out of any plant, catnip and grass excepted. And Lily, our beautiful half Person, was partial to cucumbers.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:00 am

I think it's more of a, oh, you like this smelly thing? You think it's pretty? I'll make sure it's the first thing I destroy the moment your back is turned, rather than a oh, what a tasty treat thing. :smile: Except for our Big Bamboo (RIP) something about roses and carnations drove him out of his mind and The Big Guy realized that he was better off sending me flowers to work than at home because he needed to also provide a bottle of ranch dressing for our flower munching Maine Coon. But since my black thumb goes all the way up to my shoulder on both sides, I stick to silk ones. But even those get rooted up by Scooby Don't. Must be a Maine Coon thing, Py could care less and our darlin Sahara (RIP) never bothered them either.
Tink
The Meowy-Festo

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 am

Sanuk loved any flower with a heavy perfume - I watched him bury his head in a bunch of lilacs one day (of course, that is my reaction to lilacs also) and just sit there in total bliss. He did the same thing with a vase full of peonies too, but managed to knock the vase over. He also loved ladies wearing perfume - someone who smelled nice was sure to have him on the chair behind her rubbing his head on her neck and making a general pest out of himself, he was such an insistent lover!!! :smile:

Return to “Feline Health and Care”