How often do I need to.?

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

GlamDude
Ethereal Buddha Cat
Ethereal Buddha Cat

How often do I need to.?

Postby GlamDude » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:41 pm

Check the kids anal glands? I think one of the reasons Millicent sticks her ass in my face is because she needs it checked.Could this be possible?
I have not yet begun to defile myself

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: How often do I need to.?

Postby tonksrok » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:54 am

The butt in the face thing is cat body language for "Hi there! This is your pal, me - take a sniff and make sure!"
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:42 am

Or she wants you to do what her cat mummy would have done, i.e. lick her bottom clean. Nomnom, lucky you.

Have to confess I have never cleaned my cats' glands, more than my life's worth, guv'nor.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:55 pm

I've never had to do anything to my cats' anal glands either. With the dog, we used to have them do it at the groomers, and now that we bathe him ourselves, we try to have it done (as well as toenail clipping) when we go to the vet.

--J--
Is that all there is?

spudsmom
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher

Postby spudsmom » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:16 pm

:bow:
Ireneb wrote:Or she wants you to do what her cat mummy would have done, i.e. lick her bottom clean. Nomnom, lucky you.

Have to confess I have never cleaned my cats' glands, more than my life's worth, guv'nor.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :crazy:

Too many cats
Functional Catnip Addict
Functional Catnip Addict

Postby Too many cats » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

You should never have to clean your cat's anal glands unless they are having a real problem with them. When River was in full blown distemper and his anal was completely damaged and open from the virus and then healed to the point where his gland were gone and he could not poop, I had to keep his bum lubed up....but now he is fine and pooping like a pro.

Dont mess with the glands Glam ;)
We're all fucked up in our own special way. I love that.

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Postby Janey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:07 am

I accidentally expressed a kitty anal gland once. Boy, I remember it like it was yesterday... I was cleaning up Chloe's rearward poo malfunction. Scrubbing away with a washcloth, and keeping a close eye on on my work. When I must've hit the release valve. She flooded torpedo tubes one and two and fired. Straight into my eye. I happened to catch a glimpse of hubster's face when it happened (he was holding the cat, safe at the other end). It read "Thank God that wasn't me." He has yet to be forgiven.
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby Mao Mao » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:28 am

Janey wrote:I accidentally expressed a kitty anal gland once. Boy, I remember it like it was yesterday... I was cleaning up Chloe's rearward poo malfunction. Scrubbing away with a washcloth, and keeping a close eye on on my work. When I must've hit the release valve. She flooded torpedo tubes one and two and fired. Straight into my eye. I happened to catch a glimpse of hubster's face when it happened (he was holding the cat, safe at the other end). It read "Thank God that wasn't me." He has yet to be forgiven.

:crazy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

GlamDude
Ethereal Buddha Cat
Ethereal Buddha Cat

Postby GlamDude » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Janey wrote:I accidentally expressed a kitty anal gland once. Boy, I remember it like it was yesterday... I was cleaning up Chloe's rearward poo malfunction. Scrubbing away with a washcloth, and keeping a close eye on on my work. When I must've hit the release valve. She flooded torpedo tubes one and two and fired. Straight into my eye. I happened to catch a glimpse of hubster's face when it happened (he was holding the cat, safe at the other end). It read "Thank God that wasn't me." He has yet to be forgiven.

AHAHAHAHAHAAHA!! Thats classic!!

Actually,while being funny,(trying at least) I do know that she had to have this done once before,the vet said as a matter of factly,I also had to expel her anal gland,and I couldnt stop laughing! after about 5 mins of busting up,I told the vet I didnt even know that cats had those,and he looked at me very seriously and said,'yes,they need them drained ever so often'..
I have not yet begun to defile myself

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:58 am

I've also accidentally done it. I was petting Selma who moved about and my hand touched her bum area. Weird fluid shot out, I freaked out, she licked it up, I freaked out a lot more. Then I had a decontamination shower and a lie-down.

I've never heard that it had to be done unless there was a problem.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”