bloody fleas

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

bloody fleas

Postby Billy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:30 am

We've got 3 indoor cats, and somehow, Cat #1 picked up fleas, probably at the vet's two weeks ago. One week ago, I noticed flea dirt and one flea on her. After I finished freaking out, we got to work. We treated all three cats with Frontline, and we treated the house with a flea spray, a LOT of hoovering (emptying outside, flea collar in the bag) and a LOT of washing of bedding etc. That was the first day. Since then, we've hoovered thoroughly every day, we've given the cats flea killing tablets, we've combed them - finding less and then no more fleas - we've done more laundry and even used flea bombs (perhaps overkill but my skin crawls just thinking about it...).

One cat is still scratching but I think she might have had an allergic reaction to the flea bites - there is just a little scab and no evidence of fleas on her.

Otherwise, there are no more signs of fleas, and we've been combing every day. My question is - how long should I go on hoovering every day? I am so tired! But I'll do it as long as I have to.

I'm taking PC to the vet's on Monday so I'll ask about effective, preventative treatments there.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: bloody fleas

Postby Honeybun » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Frontline is becoming less and less effective, I keep hearing of people using it and it not working. You might want to try Advocate, Advantage or Stronghold. Also you may be at the stage where you need to get something to do your house too.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks, I'll ask the vet about the other treatments. We have treated the flat twice already and I will keep hoovering, I'm just wondering how long we need to do daily hoovering.

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:09 pm

If you're not seeing any more fleas, it should be safe to stop hoovering.
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 am

Of course, the day after I posted, we discovered a couple of fleas on each cat when combing them*. Not much flea dirt though. Also found one on the floor, but it was barely moving and didn't jump, so I grabbed it in some loo paper and flushed it down the toilet. This makes me think the various treatments are working (fingers crossed).

I asked the vet about this yesterday - she told me to treat them with Frontline again in two weeks, and not to worry if we see one or two fleas in the meantime. If we still see them after the next treatment, then she'll prescribe something stronger. I'll spray the house again then, but for now, hoovering hoovering never-ending hoovering...

*I took great enjoyment in drowning the little fuckers in the soapy water. As a vegan animal lover, it's not nice to admit this, but I don't love all the animals... I would happily see the eradication of all fleas, lice, ticks and mosquitoes from the entire world. What good to those little bastards do for anyone?

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 am

They say if you put a white sheet on the floor and come back later you will see if there are fleas.

When we had our problem a couple years ago I found casings all along the edge of the underside of my sofa. Did your flea spray that you used on the carpets have the growth hormone in it or leave a residual? The problem isn't so much the fleas you're seeing but the eggs they may have laid. The sprays supposedly don't affect fleas in egg casings or larva pupas or whatever they're called. Keep an eye out and continue to vacuum if necessary. Just make sure you're dumping the vacuum bag or washing the container out.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks for the tips about the sheet, I'll try that. My sister told to put a candle into an oven dish of soapy water onto the floor at night, the fleas are attracted, jump in, and drown. I did that but there weren't any fleas in there. I had to stop Pussycat getting in it, the daft old lady...

I do believe the spray left a residual, I've thrown out the can but I think it was one of the ones that lasts for 6 or 12 months. Our vacuum doesn't have a bag but I'm emptying it in the outside bin after vacuuming, I sprayed the filter and I put a flea collar into the container to help kill anything. I'll start washing the filter out as well.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:11 am

I used a spray on the house called Indorex, which stopped flea eggs from hatching for up to a year. It also saw off the fleas without having to treat the cats separately. Honeybun is probably the expert on this topic.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:39 am

I've just ordered some Indorex, yay! The vet did say to wait before I treat again, so in about 10 days I will use the Indorex in the flat and Frontline on the cats. I really hope this does the trick. Whilst I'm getting used to hoovering every day and doing laundry all the time, it's quite tiring and time consuming, and last night Cat #2 kept me awake - she sleeps next to me and was scratching all night EW EW EW.

If the next lot of treatment doesn't see them off, I might just shave the cats and burn all my furniture and carpets. Seems reasonable to me.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:02 am

I'm surprised your vet still said to use Frontline, now that some chemists stock it they don't make as much profit from it as they can with other flea treatments. I find it works but it helps to alternate with another product. You can get Frontline Combo which supposedly treats the environment the cats are in but I don't know how effective it is.

Are you still in the UK, BTW?

Return to “Feline Health and Care”