Anybody have a cat go blind?

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

hot4teacher
Sabertoothed Poster
Sabertoothed Poster

Anybody have a cat go blind?

Postby hot4teacher » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm

I think Smokie is almost there.

She's always been weird. She stands in one place and hollers alot. Pees in weird places. Oh, wait, that's all my cats...

The last time I took her to the vet he agreed she's starting to show signs of senility.

After I get the four girl kittens spayed this week and next, I'm going to have him check her vision. What to do with a blind cat?

The worst part is that she's not even really that old - about 11 or 12. Unfortunately she lived all her life outdoors until we took her in.

And no one that sees him believes that Tookie, who is almost 16 and has lived his whole life indoors, is as old as he is...amazing what a difference good care can make.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Anybody have a cat go blind?

Postby Ireneb » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:23 pm

Poor Smokie. I guess cats can live without sight as they use their whiskers and sense of smell so much, maybe it is something we worry more about because we are human.

Interesting point about Tookie looking younger than his years, having been an indoor cat, as opposed to outdoor cats. People who live on the streets don't look too good either and age prematurely.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

hot4teacher
Sabertoothed Poster
Sabertoothed Poster

Postby hot4teacher » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:05 pm

They always guess he's about 8 or 9. That indoor living has made all the difference.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:07 am

My Blackie RIP went blind very suddenly, he was on the shed roof and we didn't realise why he couldn't get down. His was caused by detached retinas from high blood pressure connected to his diabetes. He just got used to where everything was and if you didn't know he was blind then you wouldn't have known, he could still get up on the table until a chair was moved then he lost his confidence about getting onto chairs. As long as there was nothing in his way he got about fine.

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

My Omelet (RIP) was blind. I think it started slowly when he was about 15. You could see that his pupils were kinda cloudy. I suppose cats can get cataracts just like people. he still did okay for a time, i think because he still had some vision. Probably about the time he had his first stroke (i think his first anyway.) his pupils seemed to stay dilated all the time. He could still find his food and water and his litter pan and did'nt seem to be in pain, so I just tried not to move furniture or anything else that would change his surroundings. About 6-8 months before he died, I think the last of his vision went rather abruptly because he would sit with his nose about an inch from the wall or the cabinet door and just squall his little head off. Usually a verbal response from me would calm him down. It was almost like he was lost and once he was assured that Meowmie was still nearby, he would chill out. He finally stroked for the last time in January of 2012. This one left him unable to walk or control his bladder. The vet said he was having heart arrthymias and i think if we'd not helped him to the Rainbow bridge, it would have only been a matter of hours at best. He passed away a month shy of his 19th birthday. I'd gotten to be his meowmie for his entire life, from the age of 5 weeks.
Until the last stroke, he did pretty well with very low to no eyesight.
I sure do miss my old man.

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:17 pm

Our dog, Mitzie, went blind. We were just careful not to move things around since she knew the house well. I'm sure Smokie will get along just fine. She might take longer to acclimate after the move and it'll take her longer to memorize the house.
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Too many cats
Functional Catnip Addict
Functional Catnip Addict

Postby Too many cats » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I have had 3 1/2 blind cats :crazy:

My first was Helen. She was a stray who showed up in the barn 30 some years ago. She was a beautiful polydactyl calico and probably only a year old. Back then, stray cats were not allowed around the livestock and farmers shot them on site. So she had been shot 'in the face' when I found her. He bottom jaw was completely gone and her eyes where also from being shot point blank like she was. My Dad saw her and said she was suffering and needed to be put down ...which meant he would have to shoot her too to put her out of her misery. I said no, she had survived so far and found her way to our barn and she deserved to live :) ....and after I named her Helen after my Grandma how could he, lol! She had good life with me without a jaw or her eyesight. She ate special soft food and learned her way around the farm like she could see. She had gorgeous polydactyl kittens (back then spaying barn cats was not heard of) and when she got too old to have her own, she would steal other litters for her own. I had to really watch her with that because she would steal new borns and have no milk herself to feed them. So I was constanly putting kittens back with their real mothers until they were weaned. She lived to be 18 years old and died peacefully in the hay.

My second was Martin. He was Helen's grandson. I took him from the barn when I was first married and brought him home to be a house cat. He was all white with one black spot on his side. We lived in the country in a cabin along the river bank so Martin was allowed outside. One night he tangled with an unknown animal of some kind came home in the morning with one eye out and the other full of blood. The 'good eye' healed but he was blind then. He also got along without sight better than you could imagine. They learn their way around and their other senses become more in tuned. He lived a long happy life also :)

# 3 was Max. He lived the last of his years completely blind and deaf. At 23, he lived in the enclosure and could still run around the yard with the others when I let them out at night. He knew exacly where he was and where he was going ...and at 23 no cats had ever or would ever even at that age mess with him. He was so ornery and tough, he used to beat dogs up that entered into our yard.

And finally my 1/2, Rachel. Came to me at 6 weeks completely blind from feline herpesvirus/Rhinotracheitis virus. When she could finally open her eyes they were completely white. Her little head would bob around as she listened to where sounds were coming from. She would follow the bells in her toys at first and she learned to follow the sounds of my foot steps. The other cats would stick their paws under the door at her and through just sound she would pounce and play with them. Through smell (which all of them acquired immediately) she knew where her litters were. Then after the virus started to go away, she slowly regained her sight with the help of a miracle product...I call the product, lol! It took awhile for her to adjust to having sight after that, lol! Everything startled her at first and light was painful for awhile. But as all animals do...she forgot about being blind and lived in the 'now'

So dont worry H4T.... she will adjust to her blindness quite well on her own and she to will learn to live in the 'now' and forget she ever had sight before that. Since it is a gradule thing due to old age , it will also be easier for her to adjust as it goes.

The human species are really the only ones who dwell on such loses and find it more difficult to adjust to losing our sight, limbs, hearing, hair (lol) ect, which literally destroys us inside mentally.

She will be fine :)
We're all fucked up in our own special way. I love that.

Tinkerbelle
Kitty Roca Connoisseur
Kitty Roca Connoisseur

Postby Tinkerbelle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:33 am

Py's sight has dimmed a bit, more in his left eye than his right. He still gets around pretty well, even onto the top of counters, bookcases, the fridge AND the top of the kitchen cabinets. But he will sit and howl for me to come and get him at night. Sending lots of happy thoughts to Smokie.
Tink
What are we doing tonight, Py. The same thing we do every night, Scooby, try and take over the world
The Meowy-Festo

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Wed May 08, 2013 10:27 am

Pussycat has had a checkup today, she's almost 18 and the vet says she's losing her sight. It does explain some of her behaviour - she doesn't look out the window anymore and she sometimes just stares at the wall, or rather, nothing probably. She is indoors only and we won't move any furniture so I think she should be fine. Poor little kitty, she has so many things going on, very tough little cat...

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:28 am

Pussycat is definitely losing her sight now. She can find her way around the flat but seems to have trouble seeing us unless we're right in front of her or it's very light in the room and we're in front of the window. She has become very needy and sometimes I'll see her staring at things as though she's trying to work out if it's us - yesterday she was looking at a chair with some clothes hanging off it and this morning she was staring and miaowing at my partner's stand up bass.

I know that going blind won't affect a cat like it would me, but I can't believe it doesn't bother her at all, because she is very needy. It's breaking our hearts and we're not sure what to do. There's no treatment - it's simply due to old age. Any tips or advice would be very gratefully received!

Return to “Feline Health and Care”