Poor Gus

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Poor Gus

Postby vonney » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:56 pm

Just over a year ago, I tried to add 2 adult cats to our family.
They loved me, were indifferent to Gibson, and hated Gus.
Even Gibson started picking on him based on their behavior.
After a week, I had to take them back, because I couldn't deal with the stress and Gus had lost a pound in that week because he got so upset that he was throwing up a lot. (It was a no-kill shelter, and they've since been adopted--I've beat myself up, and hated myself for it, and I still do).

I rescued another cat a couple of months later. He went after Gus, and I got torn up in the crossfire.

Since then, it seems like Gibson has lost all respect for Gus. Gus has no boundaries, which worked with Felina, but apparently makes all other cats hate him. He just bounds up to cats gets beat up for it. Gibson was fine with it, but now he just acts annoyed with Gus all the time, and they don't want anything to do with each other.

I assume time is the only thing that might help, but I try talk to them, and I've ordered some flower essences that might help.

I'll welcome any ideas.
Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Poor Gus

Postby Honeybun » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:32 am

Have you tried Feliway, it can help in these situations. Also there's Zylkene (but it can work out to be expensive) or rescue remedy.

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Thank you, Honeybun. I've tried Feliway, but they don't like it. It makes me feel weird too, LOL.

I've ordered some rescue remedy type stuff. Just waiting for it to be shipped.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby Mao Mao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:40 pm

I have a similar problem with Mi-Ke. All the other cats think she's fair game to pick on.

One left field suggestion I had from an animal shelter worker was to check her anal glands. Sometimes, kitties can give off a smell undetectable to humans but obvious to other felines. I had the vet check them out and sure enough...they were impacted.

Mi-Ke is also prone to skin problems, is nervous and is mostly white-furred. Does she have these characteristics in common with Gus too? She certainly shared them with my old Westie too. A bugger for flea allergies as well, and costs me a fortune in vet treatment (although she's worth it).

Edited to add: She's also been on Zylkene, which has helped a bit, but not immensely.
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:42 pm

Yes, Mao Mao, Gus has loads of skin allergies, or itchy bumps. He has some white, but Gibson is the mostly white cat. Gus is the little brother, and is smaller than Gibson.

They have their check up in March, so I'll ask the vet to check his glands.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:16 am

Poor Gus.

I confess it's that kind of worry that keeps me getting another cat. Gin is old and he's not good at defending himself. I'm afraid if I introduced the "wrong kind" of cat or cats into the household it was just stress him out and make him ill. He's 15 now - so I'm just letting him be a little old man in retirement on his own. He seems happiest that way and he does have one or two kitty friends around the neighbourhood.

vonney
Attack Cat
Attack Cat

Postby vonney » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 pm

shaza wrote:Poor Gus.

I confess it's that kind of worry that keeps me getting another cat. Gin is old and he's not good at defending himself. I'm afraid if I introduced the "wrong kind" of cat or cats into the household it was just stress him out and make him ill. He's 15 now - so I'm just letting him be a little old man in retirement on his own. He seems happiest that way and he does have one or two kitty friends around the neighbourhood.

I've learned my lesson. A kitten might be okay, but I don't have enough energy to take on a kitten, lol.
~Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”