Anxiety cat is anxious.....

We love our furries, but sometimes they get ill. Talk about it here.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Anxiety cat is anxious.....

Postby meow999 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:30 pm

So Purrl, my 3 yr old Maine Coon that I adopted from the county shelter back last April has got the worst anxiety issue I've ever seen in a cat. I got her and her brother Purrcy not too long after i lost Purranha. The house was just too lonely with just one cat. So this pair had been owner surrendered. The shelter did'nt give me anymore details than that, but I now think it was due to behavioral issues. At first i was okay, they are going to be a bit skittish given that they'd been yanked from thier home, surrendered to the shelter then to the adoption center. I supposed that maybe they would chill out when they'd had some time to get used to thier furrever home. Unfortunatley, less than 2 weeks after they came home, I started with the being in and out of the hospital for the next 7 months. I would be home just long enough for them to get almost used to me then would be gone for two weeks.
The final straw was one night when my house alarm went off, the garage door opened and they both bolted. I think it may have been a power surge or something. Anyway they both disappeared. I've not seen hide nor hair of Purrcy. If he comes home, he has a home here. He is microchipped, so if the County picks him up, they will notify me. Purrl showed up after about 4 weeks. She was skinny, scared and full of fleas and skittish as ever. Off we went to the vet where we got a clean bill of health.
Her behavioral issues however were worse. She had 2 selected spots that she left stinky little presents on a twice daily basis, and this week she started peeing on my bed. While i was laying there. I would roll over and find a nasty little wet suprise. Ewwwww.
Spoke to the vet over the weekend. My concern was over how spazzed out she was being. I rent, so I cannot have her destroying my house. Plus, that's just no way for the poor baby to live. We discussed medication options. Vet said he'd call something in for her. I was thinking Prozac or something as thats shown good results in studies.
To my surprise, I go to the pharmacy to pick up her medicine and would y'all believe my cat is on Xanax???? She gets a half of a .25mg pill morning and evening. Talk about instant relief!!!! She's like a whole new cat. After the first dose, she was walking around meowing loudly....i think she was a bit stoned. Since then, she's so very relaxed. She's started grooming herself, which she didnt do before. She's interacting with the other cats and I've even caught her sleeping, which I think she hardly did. Best of all no little presents anywhere.
At the prospect of pilling my cat twice a day, i had to wonder if the Xanax was for her or me. (Just kidding... :crazy: )
I am just so relieved that she's calmed down. She's not sleepy zonked like she's just been drugged. She's just, I don't know....normal, at least as cats go....
I don't know if this will be a permanent thing or if she can be weaned off the stuff eventually. Anybody have any experience with this?

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Anxiety cat is anxious.....

Postby Ireneb » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:52 am

Have no experience of druggie cats, but impressed by your persistence and care. If you want to get her off those long term, there is some stuff called Feliway, I believe, which is a pheromone you can spray around that makes cats feel at home and comfortable. I think a number of other people on this forum have used it, be interesting what their experiences were.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:38 am

I've tried the Feliway diffusers. Worked before in other problems I've had with my brood getting along with each other. Not this time tho. I've always had 3-4 cats. Usually for the long haul. Given my being gone so much this year and the fact that i lost both Omelet and Purranha within 4 months of each other, I'm surprised it's not the other two girls (Zoe and Obsidian) that are neurotic as hell. Especially since Zoe and Purranha were constantly together.
Anyway, the progress is good. Only one little accident, and it was not in the usual place and I suspect it was because I was cleaning the facilities and got distracted. Hey, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go.... :smile:
She's even letting me have short sessions of getting the snarls cut from her fur. As she is a long hair, she is full of tangles and knots. Before she would'nt let me touch her with the brush. Some of them are so bad that i am just cutting them out. So her coat will look a little funny for a while. It's got to be more comfortable than having all those knots. I though about taking her to the groomer for a shave, but I decided that would just traumatize the hell out of her. We just have a petting session and she lets me snip a few knots so very carefully and she'll tell me "ok, Meowmie, I've had enough of this for now."
So despite my misgivings at drugging my furbaby, so far, it seems to be benefiting her.

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:59 am

Poor girl. Has there been any sightings of Purrcy at all? What a scary thing for her to have gone through.

I have no experience with Xanax but I do have a stressy cat. She was on Zylkene for a while and was fine once we stopped it. Maybe once she's in a happier frame of mind she'll come to a point where you can weane her off without her freaking out again.

Do you know any humans that have come off of it? Might be a similar deal.

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:34 am

I've only just seen this post, but have you tried valerian extract? It works very well on cats - I'm giving it to Cat #1 who is epileptic because there's evidence that it can help prevent seizures (in our case, together with phenobarbital). It calms down Cat #2 and Cat #3 when I take them to the vet - they hate to travel and they LOVE valerian...

I'm using this one http://www.dorwest.com/Products/VAL/val ... s-and-cats
I bought it online but I know my vet sells it as well. We have Feliway diffusers too but I'm all for natural remedies if they work!

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:45 am

After about a week and a half on the Xanax, she got wise to me and i think I was incurring more trauma trying to get a pill into her than any good it was doing. i even tried Greenies. Nope, no go. I did get a collar at the pet store, not the Feliway brand but the same idea. Its got the pheromones along with chamomile and possibly Valerian. Stuck that thing on her and an hour later, she's much better. Calmer and happier. Occasional stinky presents on my kitchen dishmat, but that's easily cleanable and I think it happens when someone else is using "her" litter box. I concluded that she also does not like a covered box, so I took the lid off one of the boxes and relocated it so that she has privacy but no lid on it.
Those collars are about $18US and have to be replaced monthly, but if it helps, then its worth it.

Return to “Feline Health and Care”