Atheism and the big job?

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

jim
Dicktater Supreme
Dicktater Supreme

Atheism and the big job?

Postby jim » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:21 pm

I have been listening to my usual Satanic Atheist podcasts and one of the masters was talking about how the U.S. would never vote in a president who was not a Christian in some cloth.

In fact, there was a survey done of all the members of Congress with a written poll asking WHO would out themselves as someone who did not believe in some higher power. Out of the hundreds of replies, only ONE person said they would publicly admit it (though he was a Unitarian).

SO, I am asking... if a candidate said, "I do not believe in a higher power," would that impress you to vote for or against them or who-cares?

Personally, I would WELCOME that view, because I want religion as far away from public policy as it can be.

Thoughts?
"Who is in charge? The motherfucking wave function is in charge!" - Jeem, Dicktater Supreme - MCHY

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Re: Atheism and the big job?

Postby badplantmommy » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I would listen to what the candidate has to say, and see if I agree with at least some of what he's saying regarding how he would perform the job, and see if I got the feeling that I liked him (or her). Although I personally believe there is some kind of higher power, a candidate's religious beliefs or lack of them don't really matter that much to me--I would be more impressed by the person's actions, like if they volunteer or do something to make a better place, and how they treat people.

--J--
Is that all there is?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Our entire monarchy has been built on religion and our top politicians are C of E. But Religion doesn't come in to it for me. countries like the US and the UK are predominantly Christian so it's more likely the people in power will be too.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:34 am

I'd respect a prominent politician who openly said they didn't believe in an invisible friend. Not because I am a non believer myself but because it takes a bit of courage to do so in societies that are predominantly Christian. For example, our local council starts each full council meeting with prayers, which I think have no place in the public discourse. I am sure there are councillors who are atheists but none of them stand up and say so, they fold their hands, bow their heads and presumably think about golf handicap meanwhile.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:09 pm

How they believe in a higher power is irrelevant to how they would do in office. If one were to be elected it would have to be during a less religious social phase of the country. It seems to swing the other way about every 20 or so years.

Though I wonder if one would do better than the ones we have had.

jim
Dicktater Supreme
Dicktater Supreme

Postby jim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:02 pm

I am sure some of us know about the scuttlebutt over JFK getting elected here in the U.S. and how the OTHER Christians freaked because they thought the Pope was going to run the country. Obviously that did not happen. Jack's speech as Brown? University showed them what was up, he got elected and I don't think he brought his religion into the public arena much in the way of policy.
Obviously, GWB was different and immediately made it known when he stopped sending aid to countries that were using it for birth control, etc.

When y'all talk about the U.K. and the U.S., we are some of the highest populations that believe in HIM. The U.S. is I think the highest in the world per capita. So a politician seeking office here has to bleed fucking tears under a thorny crown to get the vote. It sucks. Obama goes to church, yeah, but he talks the least that I can remember about religion. Clinton did a bit, Reagan too, from what I remember.

Anyway... I want a leader who leads based on the needs of his people. Being an atheist, of course that is my goal, but even someone who has some faith is fine if they don't lead from the pulpit.

I was flummoxed when Jon Huntsman, Mormon and presidential candidate, stated that he believed in science and evolution. I honestly wished he would have taken the ticket... I might have voted for him over Obama, but not sure. Point is, these are the kind of leaders we could use, even if of the faith.
"Who is in charge? The motherfucking wave function is in charge!" - Jeem, Dicktater Supreme - MCHY

Calypso
Agoraphobic Asshat
Agoraphobic Asshat

Postby Calypso » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:12 pm

The early info on Huntsman made me want to vote for him too...an open minded Republican?

I couldn't care less about a candidate's religious beliefs or lack thereof....it should not play into their political career or how they run a city/state/country. There's nothing wrong with being guided by the good principles of religion, but those are pretty much all about just being a good human being.

jim
Dicktater Supreme
Dicktater Supreme

Postby jim » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:28 pm

Calypso wrote:The early info on Huntsman made me want to vote for him too...an open minded Republican?

I couldn't care less about a candidate's religious beliefs or lack thereof....it should not play into their political career or how they run a city/state/country. There's nothing wrong with being guided by the good principles of religion, but those are pretty much all about just being a good human being.

Not to be an asshole, but the idea put forth by Creationists that an atheist has no basis for a moral compass is utter hogwash. One thing I can say about atheists and ethical behavior is that we don't need our laws handed down by mythical stone tablets.

As the thinking animals we are, though of a much higher order, we understand from a very young age how to carry ourselves and treat others of our kind. When someone is hurt, we have an innate sympathy for them, religion heretofore undecided.

The belief in an all powerful being who will punish our misgivings is not necessary for humane treatment of our fellows. Almost to the contraposition, it is evident that humans act in accordance with the principles that bring order to the community without intervention from the divine.

IF we go back before religion, to the shamanistic cultures, ethical behavior was a natural phenomenon. The good of the tribe above all else.

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Postby neko2 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:18 pm

I think Reagan was the one who started withholding funding to countries that used it for birth control unless they pushed the rhythm/mucous method (high failure rates).

To be honest I'm tired of hearing how christians are prosecuted in this country. Last I heard no one was going to blow up their place of worship, take their jobs, push them to convert to something else, etc. It has gotten old.

allegro63
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher

Postby allegro63 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Congress is becoming a little more religiously diverse...just a little. I don't know when it became such a big deal as to what the religious preference of a political figure. I just know that the more that a politician espouses his faith and religious beliefs the greater chance of my voting against him or her.

I don't vote for a candidate because of their religions, but because I think they are the best suited to do the job, they spent to damned much time and money "interviewing" for. The ones that go on about so called family values really don't care about families or any values...other than their own.

I'm a Christian, of the apostate, hated liberal, heretical type, that most evangelicals loathe. I was recently called a "liberal bigot", as if that were possible. If a qualified Muslim, or Buddhist, or Agnostic or Taost was the best qualified, and lined up ideologically closest to mine for job qualifications, and how they'd carry them out, then they'll get my vote. One's religion is a personal matter. Lets just leave it there.
To err is human, to really fuck it up, take this handheld device..."

Return to “Politics and shit”