Florida deal

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite
Posts: 3086
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: not where I wanna be
Contact:

Florida deal

Postby neko2 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:38 pm

I just saw that Zimmerman is not guilty according to the jury. Somehow that doesn't seem right. He was the adult and should have followed the rules for neighborhood watch people. I'm not saying the kid was all innocent but he was the teen. It just seems all wrong.
Any input?

User avatar
allegro63
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher
Posts: 9141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am
Location: land of grits and insane politics
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby allegro63 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:26 am

What little I've seen, is that most sharply disagree with the verdict, and the verdict is a major symptom of Florida's Stand Your Ground laws. There was a woman, who was convicted and is serving 20 years, for shooting her weapon, not hitting anyone, and she claimed Stand Your Ground, just like Zimmerman. There is way too much ambiguity in the law to be consistent.

We have a similar law here in SC, and to see how fucking insane it is, we have a guy, on trial for murder, for killing the homeowner whose home he was trying to rob, and is using the Stand Your Ground defense. The judge wouldn't allow the argument, but the state Supreme court is taking it up, on procedural grounds, in case the dude appeals....on the Stand Your Ground guidelines. http://www.wsav.com/story/22829330/photo-cutline-gregg-isaac-is-charged-with-murder-during-a-home-invasion-but-wants-to-use-the-stand-your-ground-law
To err is human, to really fuck it up, take this handheld device..."

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite
Posts: 3086
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: not where I wanna be
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby neko2 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:40 pm

From the way I've had it explained is that you must be in your home or business (not out in the yard) and they must be breaking in or the like. Though I've seen people argue it different like just self defense.
Just sad. Common sense out the door.

User avatar
allegro63
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher
Posts: 9141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am
Location: land of grits and insane politics
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby allegro63 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:27 pm

in my area. A man shot and killed a young man who was robbing a local Waffle House not five miles from my house. He wasn't charged. I'm not sure if the robbers had guns, but the restaurant was open with customers and staff there. Another couple discovered they had a squatter, at a house they were renovating. Instead of calling the cops, they confronted and shot him, even though he was unarmed...they cited Stand your Ground. Another man noticed a couple of guys breaking into his apartment upon returning home from an outing, He got a gun from his glove compartment, confronted and killed the would be intruders. The only reason he's in jail, is because he was already on parole for other charges, and was not supposed to be in possession of a weapon.

Of the three cases, all in my area, the first is the only true, defensive case, as one doesn't know if people willing to rob a 24 diner with customers inside, would do.
To err is human, to really fuck it up, take this handheld device..."

User avatar
badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 pm
Location: Deep Space
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby badplantmommy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:34 pm

I don't think we have the Stand Your Ground law in California. I can almost picture myself offing an annoying skateboarder because he scared my dog, or maybe all those annoying people who insist on walking down the sidewalk in front of my house when I want to water my lawn, or the asshats who keep on driving down my street when all I want to do is back out of my driveway. Seriously, though, Trayvon didn't deserve to die. Even if he had been an annoying punkass (I have no idea if he was polite or combative; I wasn't there), and it's more likely that he annoyed or pissed off Zimmerman than actually making him fear for his life, even if he mouthed off or flipped him the bird or didn't share his Skittles, that's no reason to kill a kid. :mad:

--J--
Is that all there is?

User avatar
Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist
Posts: 2515
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:47 pm
Location: Hertfordshire, UK
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby Ireneb » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:06 am

neko2 wrote:I just saw that Zimmerman is not guilty according to the jury. Somehow that doesn't seem right. He was the adult and should have followed the rules for neighborhood watch people. I'm not saying the kid was all innocent but he was the teen. It just seems all wrong.
Any input?

I'm astonished at this verdict. I don't think that in the UK Zimmerman could have got away with this.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

User avatar
jim
Dicktater Supreme
Dicktater Supreme
Posts: 575
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 pm
Location: Seattle, WA
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby jim » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

badplantmommy wrote:I don't think we have the Stand Your Ground law in California. I can almost picture myself offing an annoying skateboarder because he scared my dog, or maybe all those annoying people who insist on walking down the sidewalk in front of my house when I want to water my lawn, or the asshats who keep on driving down my street when all I want to do is back out of my driveway. Seriously, though, Trayvon didn't deserve to die. Even if he had been an annoying punkass (I have no idea if he was polite or combative; I wasn't there), and it's more likely that he annoyed or pissed off Zimmerman than actually making him fear for his life, even if he mouthed off or flipped him the bird or didn't share his Skittles, that's no reason to kill a kid. :mad:

--J--


Y'all can't even carry weapons, so probably not.
"Who is in charge? The motherfucking wave function is in charge!" - Jeem, Dicktater Supreme - MCHY

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite
Posts: 3086
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm
Location: not where I wanna be
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby neko2 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:14 am

There is another case of a guy shooting teens because he felt threatened. This time it was at a convenience store. He asked the kids to turn down their music. They said something back talky and he shot them. Of course that is a little simplified. I don't see how that was standing his ground but he is using it as a defense.

User avatar
badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 pm
Location: Deep Space
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby badplantmommy » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:05 pm

jim wrote:
badplantmommy wrote:I don't think we have the Stand Your Ground law in California. I can almost picture myself offing an annoying skateboarder because he scared my dog, or maybe all those annoying people who insist on walking down the sidewalk in front of my house when I want to water my lawn, or the asshats who keep on driving down my street when all I want to do is back out of my driveway. Seriously, though, Trayvon didn't deserve to die. Even if he had been an annoying punkass (I have no idea if he was polite or combative; I wasn't there), and it's more likely that he annoyed or pissed off Zimmerman than actually making him fear for his life, even if he mouthed off or flipped him the bird or didn't share his Skittles, that's no reason to kill a kid. :mad:

--J--


Y'all can't even carry weapons, so probably not.


So if I shot somebody with a (hypothetical) weapon I wasn't supposed to be carrying, in self-defense, I'd get in trouble for it? Damn! :tong:

--J--
Is that all there is?

User avatar
allegro63
Calico Carpetmuncher
Calico Carpetmuncher
Posts: 9141
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:07 am
Location: land of grits and insane politics
Contact:

Re: Florida deal

Postby allegro63 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:11 pm

Stand your ground laws are in 31 states...I know fucking nuts. It was interesting to see a certain Senator from Arizona suggest that these laws need to be scrutinized. He's right, there are way too many ways to interpret these laws.
To err is human, to really fuck it up, take this handheld device..."


Return to “Politics and shit”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest