Is Britain really going to leave the European Union?

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Is Britain really going to leave the European Union?

Postby Ireneb » Sun May 19, 2013 10:11 am

Please, no. Prime Minister is being driven by UKIP(*) bigots who hate foreigners. Because they've done well in recent elections Cameron is suddenly having to pretend he is more anti Europe than he really is.

I hate it. With a background that is Dutch and Belgian and now British I like countries cooperating and not shooting at each other. And that is something the European Union has certainly achieved, their Nobel Peace Prize was well deserved.

(*) United Kingdom Independence Party - unpleasant lot who want to take Britain out of the EU. That appears to be their single policy.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Re: Is Britain really going to leave the European Union?

Postby Janey » Sun May 19, 2013 11:38 am

My recollection is that Britain was skeptical from the beginning and uneasy ever since. It's natural. You've never really thought of yourselves as "Continental." I don't think even the most enthusiastic EU supporter ever made the argument based on esprit de corps. The reasons were more pragmatic. Now that the economy has tanked and several EU countries are in financial freefall, I'm not surprised to hear about a movement for secession. Whatever disagreeable language it's couched in.
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Mon May 20, 2013 7:12 am

I really hope we don't because my impression is that for the most part, the anti-EU people are small-minded bigots. Honestly, I don't think it will happen, but if it does, I will kick myself for not getting a Swedish passport before I moved back to the UK!

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby Mao Mao » Mon May 20, 2013 12:14 pm

I hope we don't leave the EU. Most of the best environmental regulations and initiatives have come from there, as well as supporting human rights (which is probably why the Conservatives are not too fond of it, as the current ConDem Govt seems to have a poor record of both.)

I truly believe that the UK will go rapidly downhill if we leave the Union.
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Mon May 20, 2013 2:28 pm

Billy wrote:I really hope we don't because my impression is that for the most part, the anti-EU people are small-minded bigots. Honestly, I don't think it will happen, but if it does, I will kick myself for not getting a Swedish passport before I moved back to the UK!

I'll have to ask nicely if I can have my Dutch passport back, please, having ditched it twenty years ago :oh:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 pm

These folks sound as annoying as the Tea Party folks. :tong:

--J--
Is that all there is?

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Postby Janey » Thu May 23, 2013 4:43 pm

badplantmommy wrote:These folks sound as annoying as the Tea Party folks. :tong:

--J--

Wouldn't it be nice to get confirmation that the U.S. doesn't have the market cornered on ignorant, wrong-headed hate speech? That'd be SO refreshing. Like a cold lemonade in the dog days of August. :thumbsup:
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 pm

Janey wrote:
badplantmommy wrote:These folks sound as annoying as the Tea Party folks. :tong:

--J--

Wouldn't it be nice to get confirmation that the U.S. doesn't have the market cornered on ignorant, wrong-headed hate speech? That'd be SO refreshing. Like a cold lemonade in the dog days of August. :thumbsup:

Yep, you're not alone in this.

Talking of hate speech, I see the Westboro church started a "God Hates Oklahoma" website, which was prompty hacked and directed to a Red Cross fundraising website.

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 am

That's one website that I'm glad was hacked! :elyay:

--J--
Is that all there is?

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I can't imagine Britain leaving the EU - yes there are a lot of hassles but the economic benefits far outweigh the hassles in my view - and I believe, in most people's views.

And it's not even a member of the single currency, so the hassles are slightly less that some other countries have had to deal with. I'm not the biggest political mind but that's how I see it - Britain kind of has the best of both worlds as part of the EU - trading bloc with some autonomy.

And if you want to hear about bigoted hate mongers in the UK look up the EDL or BNP. (English Defense League and British National Party - although I'm not sure anyone here quite matches up to the Westboro nutters)

Return to “Politics and shit”