fluid in the middle ear

Talk about what ails ya! If you can fit it all into one post!

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

fluid in the middle ear

Postby Billy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:12 am

I have been suffering with headaches, dizziness, loss of hearing in one ear etc. I went to the doctor this morning and it turns out I have fluid in the middle ear. The doctor says to take decongestants and ibuprofen. If it's not better in a fortnight, I might have to get grommets!

It's good to know what's wrong because I've been feeling pretty miserable but I'm not sure what I feel about having a childhood malady at the grand age of 41. Perhaps it's my second childhood...

Any tips on what else I can do to relieve the pain and pressure are gratefully received!

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Re: fluid in the middle ear

Postby Janey » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:19 am

Urg. That's just the worst. Completely poleaxed by the malfunction of a tiny organ.

I can't think of much to alleviate your symptoms, besides rest and what you've been prescribed. Not sure if hot compresses would help, but it may be worth a try. I might wear earplugs in the shower, to keep any other water from getting in.

In the US, we have a product called Swimmer's Ear, which is essentially alcohol in a dropper. If you get water in your ears swimming, etc., a few drops dries it up. You must have such a product there, too. But I'm not sure if it would be indicated in this case. Might be worth asking your doc.

Have you been checked for infection?
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:39 am

The doctor thinks I've had some virus and this is the result. I've not got a temperature or anything. No more tests done, but I imagine that if I go back in two weeks, a lot more will be done.

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:11 pm

I had to have tubes put in my ears when I was just turned 9. I think mine was fluid accumulation spawned by allergies, but I really don't remember. At the same time I had my tonsils and adenoids taken out, but I don't remember anything with my ears: no pain, itching, anything from the wee surgery. The tubes are supposed to all-but fall out on their own as the hole heals, and one tube did. The other one just got plucked out at time.

Ibuprofen should help with swelling, though, fwiw. An antihistamine will help dry the fluid up IF the fluid is there because of something an antihistamine will help. (Geez that sounded brilliant, eh?)
True?

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:41 am

My nurse sister also mentioned antihistamines, and they have the added advantage of making me sleepy so I can take them at nighttime. Last night, I learnt NOT to take decongestants right before bed because they make me quite hyper and I couldn't sleep for hours! A little frazzled today, and no noticeable improvement - yet. BOO.

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:52 pm

:confused:
True?

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Postby badplantmommy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:50 pm

I hope you feel better soon!

--J--
Is that all there is?

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:26 pm

How's your ear now??
True?

Billy
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby Billy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:18 am

It's sometimes a bit better... On Friday and Sunday, the headache was milder and my hearing was a bit better - more a swooshy noise and less feedback and pain. Saturday and today, not so good - but something does seem to be happening so I'll keep taking the tablets and hope for the best!

My mum is a retired nurse and is trying to get me to go for x-rays and antibiotics (I don't want them unless I absolutely need them after reading a terrifying article in the newspaper about resistant bacteria!) but I won't do that unless it gets worse, or doesn't go away in another week or so.

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:13 pm

You're least likely to develop anything of the sort if you take the entire course of antibiotics as prescribed, but I do understand your caution. If the fluid in your ear is lasting this long, there's a good chance that it IS becoming infected, though, so do keep that in mind.
True?

Return to “Human Health & Fitness”