When Is Charity Not Charity?

Be yourself and maybe someone else if you have it in you.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

When Is Charity Not Charity?

Postby Honeybun » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:19 am

This may come out harsher than I mean it to, apologies in advance if it is, I just need a sounding board.

I know of a little boy who lost his legs at fifteen months old after getting meningitis, he's now around eight years old. When he was around three years old a charity club my dad belongs to (I don't want to say what one but it has many groups internationally) raised a lot of money for him to go to the US to get top of the range legs. Not long after the money was raised, and before they went to the US, I happened to see the boy and his mother standing outside a busy London tube station, apparently raising more money. This put my back up a bit because an international charity was already behind them. Yesterday I happened to see a news article about the boy as he's now become an ambassador, of sorts, for his condition as he's 'never let it get him down'. Forgive me if I'm wrong but he's never known any different and therefore shouldn't have any reason to let it get to him.

I mentioned this to my dad today and he said the mother had visited his club to give a talk about her son getting his new legs but she barely said a word about it, instead speaking about the wonderful hair extensions she had done whilst there. He also said that the family live in a road that, to give you an example of the houses, housed last years X Factor finalists.

To me a lot of this sounds so wrong, it gets me that people who can afford certain things more than others are relying on a charity for their son. Fair enough if they were raising money for him and other kids in similar situations to this boy but they weren't, all donations went to his cause.

It's great he's now able to motivate people through what happened to him, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but in this case I don't think they needed as much help as they took.

neko2
Wee Gobby Shite
Wee Gobby Shite

Re: When Is Charity Not Charity?

Postby neko2 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:07 am

There are many that abuse charity. They don't see it as such.

Return to “Your Ramblings”