Rant

Be yourself and maybe someone else if you have it in you.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Rant

Postby Honeybun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:39 am

I need a bit of a rant, feel free to ignore. This is the one place no one I know has access to.

I have worked at a rehoming Cattery for nearly ten years, for the last two I was the supervisor but in those years the staff changed hands a lot and we had a load of people just out of college who didn't like being told what to do and therefore don't like me. I was there because I loved what I did, most of them were there because it was a job. I am currently on maternity leave and probably won't go back as staff though as far as anyone there knows I will be back as the supervisor in July. So I was very annoyed to be removed as an admin on the Facebook page I set up for them and today found the twitter account I set up has been ignored, a new one started and I have been blocked from it.

The reason I am pissed is because I would still like to be involved in the place, probably as an unpaid committee member where I would technically have more say in the cattery but not work there, just help voluntarily. Ideally a perfect 'job' for me would be to network through Facebook and twitter as I have the free time to do this. I think I'll have to bring it up with the manager and committee but that would just seem like I'm stirring things. As it was when I popped in just before Christmas I donated some treats and the response was 'do you know how many treats we have already'. And as much as I loved it there I can't wait to leave when I pop in if only the staff are there.

I get on really well with the committee but have been completely ostrasised by the staff. It is hard for me to sit back after being involved for so long. I'm in half a mind to step away completely once my leave is up but I don't want them to have got to me like that.

Thanks for reading if you got through this.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Re: Rant

Postby Ireneb » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:39 am

You are fully entitled to a rant, by the sound of it.

Sounds like a tricky situation all round - if you've worked there for ten years you clearly have invested a lot of time and love in the place, seems a shame to walk away from your job there. You clearly care very much about the animals and what the shelter does for them.

But now that little Amber is in your life your priorities may well be different.

Hope you get it sorted to your satisfaction - your colleagues don't seem to be big on tact, judging by their behaviour over the FB and Twitter accounts.

(hug)
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks Irene. I don't think it helps I'm sat at home dwelling on it most of the time. When the weather starts getting warmer I'll definitely be out more, also Amber will be more interested in things, it will help take my mind off it.

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:42 pm

That situation is definitely rant-worthy. It sounds like the little day-job piss ants are showing their true colors, and if you want to have any sort of meaningful role there when you're ready to go back, you're definitely going to have to bring these situations up with the powers-that-be.

That being said, there really is a very good chance that once you've given it more thought, it might be that you're NEVER going to be wanting to go back.

I'd still have a word of prayer with the manager/committee... :mad: :mad: :mad:
True?

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:12 am

Honeybun, another thought about the people you work with. A friend of mine pointed out a while ago that a lot of people who end up working in stables, zoos and animal shelters are not that good at social relationships, which is why they prefer the company of animals.

I wonder if that might be the case with some of your colleagues, in that it may not even have occurred to them you might be hurt by their behaviour over social media or the way they treat you.

Only a theory, feel free to ignore! And you certainly don't fall into the same category.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:40 am

That's very true Irene, but I'm more likely to say I can see that in myself and some of the older trustees which is probably part of the problem. I'm really not great with people face to face and it didn't help that most of the time I was talking to them I was telling them what to do or what they were doing wrong.

It also doesn't help that I'm up in the early hours feeding the baby with nothing else to keep me awake other than looking at social sites (I'd come on here if it was more mobile friendly). I do find I'm more irrational at these times.

Return to “Your Ramblings”