Lincoln

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

jim
Dicktater Supreme
Dicktater Supreme

Lincoln

Postby jim » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:07 am

This is a very interesting premise. There is a guy that is in charge of all these people and they are killing each other because of these other people that are darker than them.

This guy gets killed in the end, though, and some people are happy.

That being said, there is nothing new about this story, but I found the acting to be, well, Oscar-worthy and the directing superb and recommend it for anyone who is a fan of good cinema.

I would not say a fan of history, because there is nothing revealed here that was occult before. It is just fantastic movie-making and I have already watched it 6 times because I can't get enough.

The only thing missing was Paul Giamotti, playing some peripheral role.
"Who is in charge? The motherfucking wave function is in charge!" - Jeem, Dicktater Supreme - MCHY

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: Lincoln

Postby tonksrok » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 am

I cannot help but to want to watch that movie!!!!
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Postby Janey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:05 am

We just saw this, too. Daniel Day-Lewis was brilliant. Even had the posture down, and the voice, from descriptions I have read.

As a film, I thought it was awkwardly structured. But I absolutely LOVED the backroom politics of the Thirteenth Amendment's passage (the permanent and final legal end to slavery in this country). Many people were appalled--you mean, slavery wasn't ended simply because it was wrong? Nope. It was wrong, but to kill it, Lincoln and his party had to bribe, threaten, lie, and wheedle all over Capitol Hill. It had to be done, and right then. Do Americans think we simply had a change of heart after 250 years? No, it was blood, blood, blood and political expediency to cement the gains of war.

I think Lincoln would have agreed with our latest Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch): "I may be on the side of the angels, but do not think for a moment that I am one of them."

Screw "Father Abraham." Give me Mr. Lincoln, the wiliest political animal in the filthy political jungle. :thumbsup:
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Postby tonksrok » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:54 am

Watched it this past weekend, great movie. Amazing how politics is still pretty much the same after 170 years.
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

Return to “Entertainment & Media”