Peppercorns... gaaahh

You think your shit is... the shit? Let us know about it.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Peppercorns... gaaahh

Postby shaza » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:04 pm

Made up my mushroom sauce tonight and on the spur of the moment threw in some peppercorns. Oh My God....

I like "pfeffer" sauce for schnitzel and steak. I like reasonably spicy food. I don't remember peppercorns in my schnitzel sauce at restaurants being quite so painfully spicy. These are only black peppercorns.

Did I do something wrong? Should they be different type of peppercorns?

A couple were ok but after that I had to fish out the others and get rid of them. :tong:

tonksrok
Clown Loach Kitty
Clown Loach Kitty

Re: Peppercorns... gaaahh

Postby tonksrok » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Most recipes I have that call for whole peppercorns call for only a few, four at the most. They are really potent little buggers and if they are reasonably fresh, they are extremely potent.
A house without a cat is not a home.

"Always have bail money." 50 Cent

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:30 pm

Doh! Well maybe that was my mistake - but I just remember lovely German pfeffersosse which seemed to have rather more than 3 or 4 peppercorns in them - but I think they may have been white or green - not that I know if that makes a difference. but yeah - those buggers were really potent

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 am

There can be a lot of difference in strength of flavour in pepper. I occasionally buy a large jar of peppercorns from Fortnums if I am in that part of London. It has decidly more punch and flavour than other pepper. Oddly enough theirs is not expensive when you compare it with buying small jars in the supermarket, but that is probably the only thing in Fortnums that doesn't empty your wallet :smile:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

wolfsdawn2
Peeping Tom
Peeping Tom

Postby wolfsdawn2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:54 am

Yikes!!
True?

Janey
Bast Blasphemer
Bast Blasphemer

Postby Janey » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:31 am

I wonder if you got hold of some Szechuan peppercorns. Hotter n' blue blazes. Did they have a slight anesthetic quality, like a clove, and a mild floral scent?
"Why don't you try reading the rules, Shankopotamus?"--the Etrade Baby"You'll only regret your economies."--Reynolds Price, Ardent Spirits

lucy
Sabertoothed Poster
Sabertoothed Poster

Postby lucy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 am

Maybe green peppercorns! They' are more often used in steak sauces etc as they have a 'bite' but without the heat.

Return to “Food / Recipes”