Eating on a shoestring (again)

You think your shit is... the shit? Let us know about it.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Re: Eating on a shoestring (again)

Postby Mao Mao » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:35 am

shaza wrote:I thought I'd share this article posted online by a nutritionist here in the UK:

Healthy eating on a budget
http://thehealthbank.co.uk/healthy-eati ... omment-261

It makes for interesting reading - she basically strove to eat a healthy diet with a £20 / week / person max. You can download her free ebook in PDF format which is basically the article plus the menu and shopping list and recipes she set out for herself for a week.

Not saying everyone will like it - but it's given me a few ideas on where I can save, what I can cook etc.

That looks interesting, shaza. I'm always looking for healthy eating options for the family. Thanks for the link!

Edited to add: I've just read part of it, and I'm delighted to notice that she recommends making soup out of the left over roast chicken from Sunday. We do this in our household - strip this meat from the carcass after Sunday dinner, boil the carcass to make stock, use the stock the next day to make a chicken and vegetable soup.

I think the main problem I have is in planning for the week. I get very busy, and life can often throw a curve ball which messes up whatever I had planned for the day. Added to that, it is too easy to fall into the temptation of cheap, ready prepared meals when you are exhausted and shopping in the supermarket. Very naughty of me, when I keep a lot of the basic ingredients in stock in my kitchen.

Really, I need more self discipline to implement planning, and contingency planning, for meals. Especially if I am to keep the family healthy.

It's probably something which older generations took for granted. I also feel that from my generation onwards, we lost a lot of the planning and cooking skills essential to make a meal from scratch. Thanks to my Mum, and also some decent cookery classes in school (and some superb vegetarian cook books I had years ago - even though I'm not a vegetarian now), I think my skills are a bit better than some. However, I often feel I belong to a lost generation regarding cookery, especially when I overhear conversations in the supermarket from women shopping, and also when I talk to younger relatives. They have no idea how to cook from scratch.
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

Mao Mao
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby Mao Mao » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 am

I forgot to add: no.1 sneaky tip of all time to add hidden vitamins and also pad out the flavour of a soup at the same time - a tablespoon of Marmite (Vegemite if you're an Aussie).

Another superb tip from one of my old vegetarian cookbooks. It's a shame the cookbook literally fell to pieces due to overuse. :wah:
'Blessed are the cracked, for they let in the light' - Spike Milligan

You'll Never Walk Alone

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:29 am

Agree with MaoMao about cooking skills getting lost. It is a shame because you can eat remarkably well on a budget, but it needs time to pre-plan (hard if you are a busy working mother) and knowledge.

I've done menus ahead for a week a few times and it works really well, but I can't keep it up because I won't devote the half hour it takes to sit down and do this.

On the other hand, being brought up in a family where food was not thrown away full stop, I tend not to waste a lot.
I know younger women who throw away vegetables one day past their sell by date :oh:
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:02 pm

I think cooking is one of those things that most people have to work at - practice makes perfect as they say. Some people think they can microwave ready meals 6 days a week then cook a gourmet one on the 7th day - doesn't seem to work well for most people IMHO.

I'm almost always cooking for one - which can be tedious. It's good to have a decent size freezer. I will make large portions of stuff - esp soups and stews this time of year - and freeze about half of it.

Also MM - when I am making out my menu / shopping list for the week I often build in a "dine out" night for contigency - otherwise I sometimes find I am throwing things out that I cooked and then didn't get to eat. I keep a few staple items on hand for "fast food". So there's a bag of pasta and a jar of sauce in the cupboard and maybe a bag of prawns in the freezer to add in if I feel like it. A tin of beans and a packet of Uncle Ben's microwave brown rice. Tins of tuna. Eggs (you could always do eggs and toast for tea :-) ). A tin of baked beans. And I keep my bread in the freezer since I don't eat it before it normally goes off. So from a combo of any of those things you could throw something together on short notice.

Also I have a decent size freezer and I would recommend getting a little freezer if you can. You could make up your own "ready meals" by cooking up stuff and then freezing appropriate portion sizes. microwave them when you need them. I have several bags of frozen veg in there for "emergencies" - Sainsburys does a 2 for £2.50 on those often and Lidl have a surprisingly good selection. Tonight - I threw some of the frozen 'shrooms and onions in a little olive oil for a stir fry, added a couple teaspoons Bisto to thicken plus a couple dessert spoons of yogurt... nice sauce to go along with my meat.

Return to “Food / Recipes”