Hummingbird Cake

You think your shit is... the shit? Let us know about it.

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

lucy
Sabertoothed Poster
Sabertoothed Poster

Hummingbird Cake

Postby lucy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:43 pm

Hummingbird cake

this is so delicious and yummy.
Melted butter to grease
1 x 440g (150z) can crushed pineapple in juice
1 cup mashed banana (approx 2 large)
60ml (1/4 cup) fresh passionfruit pulp (about 3)
215g (1 cup) castor sugar
2 eggs lightly whisked
150g unssalted butter, melted
265g (1 3/4 cup) self raising flour, sifted
2 ts ground cinnamin
Cream cheese icing
1 x 250g pkt cream cheese (philadelphia) at room temperature
60 g melted butter, extra at room temperature
125 g (3/4 cup) icing sugar mixture (powdered or confectioners sugar I think in US)
1 preheat oven to 170C (340f) brush a round 22cm (8.5 in) cake pan with melted butter to lightly grease. Line the base with silicaon (baking ) paper
2. Drain pineapple, resreving 1 tablespoon of juice. Combine the pineapple, banana, passionfruit pulp, sugar and egg in a large bowl. Stir in the butter. Add the flour and cinnamin. Stir until just combined
3. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour and ten minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in teh pan 10 minutes to cool, Turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
4. To make the cream cheese icing. Use and electric beater to to beat the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and reserved pineapple juice in a bowl until smooth. Spread over the top of the cake.
Cut into slices to serve.
This cake is great to freeze At the end of step 3, wrap in 2 layers of plastic wrap. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw and continue from step 4.

* I actually cook this in a 20 cm square pan and cut into slices and freeze wrapped as above. I do not ice it as it goes into OGs lunch box.

Return to “Food / Recipes”