Secret Life of Cats

Vidz! Picz! Storiez!

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Secret Life of Cats

Postby shaza » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 pm

Some scientists put cameras and GPS on 50 cats in a village in Surrey to see what they get up to when they go out of the cat flap:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22884040

For UK peeps - you can watch the full programme on BBC iPlayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... f_the_Cat/

MarciaCat
Lion King
Lion King

Re: Secret Life of Cats

Postby MarciaCat » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm

Very interesting! I'd love to be able to see the whole thing; maybe BBC America will air it.
"Nothing good comes from whiners." -Vonneybeth

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:38 am

I watched it yesterday. Was interesting how the cats interacted - or didn't interact - with each other. I was surprised at how few critters were caught knowing how frequently my lot bring things home.

I'd love to put trackers on my mum's 5, I think a couple of them at least will surprise us. I'd put a camera on Olive and Millie too, should get some funny video's. my own cat would be useless to track, though, as she's 99% indoors.

shaza
Lap Warmer
Lap Warmer

Postby shaza » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 am

I know - and how little actually fighting.

For those who can't see the whole programme - the gist was that by large the cats didn't wander too very far from home with a few exceptions. That there wasn't as much hunting as expected (people were asked to bring into the "command centre" whatever that cat brought home (literally). There were 20 kills in a week for 50 cats and that was apparently less than expected. That when the cats encountered each other they tended to having hissing standoffs as opposed to all out fights. And that there were several kitties who would sneak in to other houses to scoff the food. :happy:

Return to “Feline Miscellany”