Vidz! Picz! Storiez!

Moderators: GlamDude, jim_test, The Ghost of Case

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Some TNR groups **warning..Rant ahead...**

Postby meow999 » Sun May 05, 2013 5:11 pm

:mad: :mad:

While I am much in favor of the whole trap-neuter-release thing for ferals, it so really needs to be done properly. I swear, if a group does not have the resources to properly run such a program then they ought not be doing it. Around my neighborhood, there is apparently such a program and i would really like to find out who in the hell it is. Allow me to explain.....
Last Sunday morning, at an obscenely early hour, i was up doing chores and getting my house ready for my being gone for a bit. I was scheduled for some surgery for myself on monday morning and depending on how things went, was going to be at my parents for a few days afterward and my roomie was to be feeding the cats while i was recovering. I had the garage door open to drag the trash can to the curb and Obsidian got out. This was a bit unusual because she is nearly 8 and has always been an indoor girl. She would venture out to the garage but never all the way outside. Well, this time she got outside with out my noticing. When i had not seen her by Sunday afternoon, I got worried, especially when she did'nt appear for gushy fudz time. I told my roomie to keep an eye out for her but she did not appear. I figured she knew where home was and would show up eventually and she is microchipped and registered to me so if Animal Services picked her up, they would call me (that's happened before, cost's me $110 to bail the little furballs out of jail but like kids, at least thier safe).
On Monday, i had my Surgery, all went well, and i went home to mom and dad's on Tuesday and stayed there the rest of the week. i heard nothing. Came home after church this afternoon and my next door neighbor knocked on my door and asked if i was missing a cat. uh, yeah, matter of fact yes? Turns out she was sitting in the bushes in front of my house. All i had to do was shake the box of treats and call her and out she came. Here's where i get upset.....
Aside from being skinny and scared, her belly is shaved and her ear is clipped!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: Did some badly funded TNR group get hold of her and not bother to scan her for a chip?, shave her belly, see a scar (she's got the tattoo'd scar) and realize that she's already spayed AFTER they hacked a chunk of her ear off??? While I recognize the idea of the ear clipping as a means of identifying a neutered feral, ya think they could have done it a little neater??? They damn near whacked off 1/3 of her ear and left a flap hanging behind and I sort of wonder about the cleanliness? it was all scabbed up. I'll be taking her to her vet tomorrow to get her checked out and to get that ear at least trimmed appropriatly and for some antibiotics.
I feel awful because this is in part my fault for her escaping, but damn it, I support these organizations whenever i am out shopping for kitty condiments (food,treats, etc,), i always donate cash, buy food, litter, etc. I like to think they are doing the right thing, but now I am kind of wondering. My poor baby girl. :wah:
Right now, she's curled up on a clean towel on the heating pad on low on the foot of the bed after having had a whole can of her favorite stinky goodness with some Dreamies on top. (i have a friend with family in GB that keeps us stocked in UK treats) I know she'll be OK but what an awful experience for her, and if this is how this "rescue" group operates, how much good is it really doing. Incidentally, my county is officially a "no-kill" animal-shelter and it's adoption centers/animal services are very well funded and well supported.

I just scritched Obsi under the chin and she rolled over and showed me her belly like she does when she wants belly rubs, so i got a good look at her tummy. SHE HAS AN INCISION!!!! THESE IDIOTS ACTUALLY TRIED TO SPAY HER!!!! AGAIN?????? How long did it take them to figure out she was already spayed. She's got no mark of having had an IV anywhere so how did they do anesthesia. She puked up some of her gushy fudz. I'm so mad I can't even type straight.......
So in short I am supposing, they picked her up, didn't bother to scan her for her chip, gassed her down, shaved her, tried to spay her and whacked a hunk of her ear off under gawd knows what kind of clean or not-so-clean conditions, glued her back up and dumped her back out where they found her to stumble her way back home, in pain and subject to who knows what kind of infection? :mad: :grump2: :grump2:

badplantmommy
Feral Fecal Freak
Feral Fecal Freak

Re: Some TNR groups **warning..Rant ahead...**

Postby badplantmommy » Sun May 05, 2013 11:22 pm

What an awful thing for your kitty to have to go through. :wah: You would think they'd at least scan for a chip before doing all those things to her. Don't they know that not every cat outside is a feral, and that sometimes, no matter how careful you are, beloved family pets still get out sometimes?

--J--
Is that all there is?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 am

Poor girl to go through this. I hope you find the people responsible and give them what for! My rescue does the trapping and neutering without the releasing (I won't even go there for now), the moment a cat is brought in they're scanned for a chip but we don't treat every female as unspayed unless we know for a fact they've not been neutered as it's so invasive. Once this organisation realised she was owned they should not have put her back out again and done all they could to find you, even if they had discovered your address from her chip she should have physically been returned to you. This just screams of irresponsibility!

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 pm

I was able to do some research today and found that likely, what happened, is that she got caught in a trap set by a neighbor (and I am not sure who that might have been, but I have ideas) who then took her to one of these outfits that does this. I contacted both the Humane Society and Animal Services and was able to trace the route that a cat picked up by them would have taken and no where in thier procedures would an animal have not been scanned for a chip, subjected to what Obsi has been through and then dumped back out wher they were found. So tht narrows it down to the private organizations. i contacted one who's exectutive director is doing some research for me because she said there are a couple of outfits that seem to fly-under-the-radar and are kind of political/crazy-cat-lady sorts and whose techniques are somewhat questionable. If said neighbor took to one of these outfits, well there ya go....
At any rate, Obsi seems to be doing OK. She does not appreciate the antibiotic ointment on her ear but tough, its good for her. She's eating, drinking, and seems to have got some of her swagger back.

nmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........sorry....that was a comment from her sister Zoey.... :happy:

I will have the vet get pictures of everything Tuesday afternoon at her appointment and discuss with him as to how I should follow this out, if I even can......

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Mon May 06, 2013 11:18 pm

If it was a private organisation you would expect the vets to scan the cat in that case - they should know the cats coming in are possible strays. Sounds like whoever's doing the neutering is the one a fault then.

Can I suggest when you go to the vets to get them to scan her in front of you so you can see if the chip can be easily located.

Ireneb
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Ireneb » Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 am

I am sorry your kitty had to go through all this and for the anxiety this must have caused you. Honeybun's advice re locating the chip makes sense. I hope you get to the bottom of it.
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. -- Winston Churchill

meow999
Laser Pointer Chaser
Laser Pointer Chaser

Postby meow999 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:28 am

Honeybun wrote:If it was a private organisation you would expect the vets to scan the cat in that case - they should know the cats coming in are possible strays. Sounds like whoever's doing the neutering is the one a fault then.

Can I suggest when you go to the vets to get them to scan her in front of you so you can see if the chip can be easily located.

My vet does scan the cat in front of me. When I had Henry neutered and chipped with him, they did that so that I'd know that the chip registered and exactly what number came up relative to the paperwork that came home with him. A friend of mine that works with animal services in another county told me that there are some "questionable" groups out there that are using a vet tech or what ever (ie: someone that may know how to do a spay but not necessarily supposed to be doing it) to do ferals, etc. Like, I'm an OR Nurse. I know how to replace a hip or fix a hernia but i don't need to going into practice for myself. :crazy:
Generally such an outfit is not well funded enough to afford a chip scanner either.

I can see how such a sequelae of events can happen and it still pisses me off. I'm just glad my baby girl seems to be okay. i do think I will be a little more discriminating on who I donate to in the future, like maybe ask some questions first instead of assuming that just because they are set up outside PetSmart they must be legit?

Honeybun
Catbox Archaeologist
Catbox Archaeologist

Postby Honeybun » Tue May 07, 2013 12:25 pm

I just meant that the chip can migrate around the body :wink: . I had one cat who had his in his front leg and a pair of cats (bro & sis) who were definitely chipped but we could only find their chips if the scanner was held at a certain angle in a certain location. I always recommend that people check where the chip is whenever they go to the vet as if the chip has moved it is less likely to be found.

I really hope you do find who did this if only so they change their practises in the future so this doesn't happen to another cat.

Return to “Feline Miscellany”